The Anti tankbusters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
This comes up so often i figured it was time to make a pinned topic on it so if you can think of any oddballs that can be kept in tiny tanks post 'em up.

Rhinogobius wui; White cheeked goby. Max size 2", suitable for tanks of 5g upwards

Badis badis. Max size 3", suitable for tanks of 20g and upwards

Mastacembelus zebrinus, Zebra spiny eel. Max size 6" in captivity, suitable for tanks of 20g upwards

Carinotetraodon travancoricus, Dwarf puffer. Max size 1", suitable for tanks 5g and upwards.

Crenicichla compressiceps Dwarf Pike Cicklid. Max. Size 4". Min. Tank size: 20g (preferably 12x12x30").

All the nastiness of their larger cousins, but only attain 4". I'd only recommend a solitary adult for this configuration.

Thats a good one, not really an oddball though but i guess we can let it pass ;)

You're right, not totally an oddball, but pike cichlids always seem to appeal to many non-cichlidophiles that are in to oddballs. That was just one that came to mind, unique due to it's small size.

How about Pantodon buchholzi African B'fly Fish, with the water level reduced to 3/4 or 1/2 to observe these guys.

Pantadon need a little more space than a 20g can provide IMO, i wouldnt keep one in less than a 3 foot (30g) tank but a nice little oddball all the same.

Excellent idea!

It should be noted that Rhinogobius wui is a coolwater fish though.

Fish from the gastromyzon and related families (hillstream loach, borneo sucker et al) are another small coolwater fish that could be considered 'oddball'.

Bumblebee gobies, obviously find out whether you have FW or brackish ones.
Most species of killifish, find out about them before you get though.
Empire Gudgeon/goby Hypselotris Compressa
Peacock Goby
Schilthurs elephantnose
South american leaf fish

If some are a bit wrong, don't blame me, blame the book :p

You "could" keep a leaf fish in a 20g but if you want to get the best out of them you need a group and then a bigger tank is needed.

If you ever find a Empire gudgeon then let me know, my mrs would love me forever if i could get her one of those but unfortunately they are rarer than rocking horse poo in the trade.

Oh and try and keep to the formula i set earlier, scientific name, common name, max size and minium tank size please. Then when we have a good list i will edit the chatty bits out and pin this.

CFC said:
Oh and try and keep to the formula i set earlier, scientific name, common name, max size and minium tank size please. Then when we have a good list i will edit the chatty bits out and pin this.
[snapback]920780[/snapback]​
Sounds good. I'll fix mine up.

OohFeeshy said:
Bumblebee gobies, obviously find out whether you have FW or brackish ones.
[snapback]920776[/snapback]​

Can someone show me posative proof of a freshwater bumblebee goby
AFAIK all brachygobius species are brackish.

All Brachygobius may be but Hypogymnogobius xanthozona is said to be able to be kept in both FW or brackish, though personally i would only keep them in brackish.

The-Wolf said:
Can someone show me posative proof of a freshwater bumblebee goby
AFAIK all brachygobius species are brackish.
[snapback]920813[/snapback]​
:dunno: I've always heard there's two types :dunno: One FW and not common, one brackish and... common. But hey, I don't know, I've never kept the things :dunno:

Enneacanthus gloriosus Blue spot Dwarf Sunfish: Max size: 3.5"; Min tank size: 20g

Enneacanthus chaetodon Black Banded Dwarf Sunfish: Max size: 3.5"; Min tank size: 20g

Not exactly oddballs if you live near the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

Tateurndina ocellicauda Peacock Goby, Rainbow goby (??): Max size: 2.5"; Min tank size: 15g.

I only ever aquired these under their scientific name, but have heard of them being called the common names above.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back