The Anti tankbusters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Acanthophthalmus kuhlii , Khuli Loach, max size:3.5 inches, Min Tank size:15 gallons
Not exactly an oddball but is a bit oddball-ish, and is good for small tanks

EDIT:
Do Killi fish qualify?
DD

The ultimate oddball - The Prehistoric Monster Fish (Thalassophryne amazonica) can easily be kept in tanks of less than 20g as they don't move a lot :)

Cool fish indeed - here's a link to some info.

Monster Fish

Just make sure they're accepting dead foods before you buy and they need a sandy substrate.

Part of the problem is that the fishkeeping trade doesn't distinguish between the species, and the aquarium books use the wrong names. Hypogymnogobius xanthozona (= Brachygobius xanthozona), for example, is often seen in books but is, I am reliably informed, so rare even most museum collections don't even have preserved specimens.

The common species are Brachygobius sabanus, Brachygobius nunus, and Brachygobius doriae (listed in no particular order). Other species may turn up as well. For the most part, trying to identify bumblebee gobies to species level is beyond the ability of the home aquarist (you need to count scales, which means putting a dead specimen under a microscope). I'm told by a scientist working on gobies that virtually every photograph published in the aquarium literature (books and magazines) is wrong. A scary thought...

Anyway, in the Aqualog "Brackish Water Fishes" book, probably the most reliable book on the topic, the author goes to great lengths to explain that bumblebee gobies, halfbeaks, and glassfish aren't brackish water fish whatever the hobby may think. I think he over-eggs the pudding a little here... while there's no question that while these fish might not naturally occur in brackish water habitats, they do seem to do well in brackish water aquaria.

Personally, I keep my bumblebees in a tank containing slightly acidic, moderately hard water filtered through peat. They are as fat as fancy goldfish and seem to be healthy, and have been for months. On the other hand, I've read reports of people breeding them in something approaching full strength sea water.

My gut feeling is that other factors are more important, in particular feeding. These gobies are notoriously finicky, and it took me a while to find something they'd eat with enthusiasm (shrimp and lobster eggs).

Brackish water may be helpful, but I don't think its essential, and these gobies certainly are known to live and breed in soft, acid water miles away from the sea. In the Aqualog book, for example, the author says that he has only ever caught them in fresh, not brackish, water. He does go on to say that 5-10 ppt strength sea water is best for breeding though (normal sea water is about 35 ppt, by the way).

Cheers,

Neale

The-Wolf said:
Can someone show me positive proof of a freshwater bumblebee goby AFAIK all brachygobius species are brackish.

Well, they come under oddball in this forum so...

South american puffers-Colomesus asellus

also known as..
Brazilian Freshwater Puffer
South American Freshwater Puffer
Peruvian Puffer
Venezuelian Puffer

Living conditions:

Freshwater and light brackish.

Temperature 26°C
pH 7.2
Hardness 10dH
Average Size in Wild 15cm
Temperament Peaceful. (for a puffer!)

Still not community fish

CFC i think you'll be able to clarify this but i was under the impression that there were a few species of dwarf snakehead maybe small enough to be kept in a 20? anybody know em?

A single Channa gachua (green snakehead) or Channa bleheri (rainbow snakehead) could be kept in a 20g tank.

yeah i was thinking of the channa gachua i just couldnt remember the name. but those things are pretty cool

yeah i was thinking of the channa gachua i just couldnt remember the name. but those things are pretty cool

they look realy cool, but they probably wouldnt work out in a 55 gallon cominity tank right?

A single Channa gachua (green snakehead) or Channa bleheri (rainbow snakehead) could be kept in a 20g tank.

hey what do you think cfc? would a dwarf snake head be ok in a 55 gallon or would they get to agresive or what not, john has never even heard of them, they look cool on google :shifty:
but there probably not comunity fish right? :unsure:

Depends on the tankmates but dwarf snakeheads can work out in comunity tanks of at least 50 gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back