Thawed/re-frozen brine shrimp

Seisage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know the general consensus is to not re-freeze and reuse thawed frozen foods, but that seems to typically be advice applied to open packages and leftovers that weren't fed out. I bought some frozen brine shrimp cubes from the LFS and had a ~2.5 hour drive home. By the time I got back, they were still rather cold, but definitely not really frozen anymore. I chucked them in the freezer when I got inside. The package is still very much sealed, so I'm wondering if it's still safe and good to use. It was only $5, so if they're unsafe, I'm not out much money, but if they are still safe, I don't want to toss them out.

And, if I can't use them for feeding animals any longer, does anyone have any advice for what I can use them for? I'd rather not have them just completely go to waste.

If they were still cold they should be ok.

If you have to get frozen food in future, make sure they wrap it in a few sheets of newspaper and then wrap it in a towel and put it in an esky in the car.

If they were still cold they should be ok.

If you have to get frozen food in future, make sure they wrap it in a few sheets of newspaper and then wrap it in a towel and put it in an esky in the car.
Great, thanks Colin. I did loosely wrap the package in a towel, but it obviously wasn't enough. I'll definitely be more prepared next time with more towels and/or a cooler and ice packs. Thankfully, I do have a local store that sells frozen fish food, so in that case I don't think I'd need to insulate, but everything there is wildly overpriced.

Great, thanks Colin. I did loosely wrap the package in a towel, but it obviously wasn't enough. I'll definitely be more prepared next time with more towels and/or a cooler and ice packs. Thankfully, I do have a local store that sells frozen fish food, so in that case I don't think I'd need to insulate, but everything there is wildly overpriced.

I picked up a cheap little insulated kids lunchbox thing specifically for when I'd be getting frozen fish food, could add an ice pack to take in it too if you wanna be extra safe.

But especially if it was just a bit defrosted and wasn't like, baked in a hot car boot for 2 and a half hours, I'd still use it and not give it a thought. I highly doubt that storage of packaged frozen fish foods is flawless between manufacture, delivery to stores then always packed away into a store freezer perfectly every time anyhow. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back