Tetra With Carbon Dioxide Poisoning...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ilyas

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

We got some fish from a friend today who is shutting down his tank. Two of the Serpae Tetras have the signs of carbon dioxide poisoning. They are both relatively minor cases and I will keep a close I out to see if the situation gets better or worse. I know he was really good at water changes and keeping good water perimeters, but he was also very new to using carbon dioxide. Is there anything more I should do for the fish other than regular water changes? Should I change 10% daily? I already use a quarter of what API recommends to my water. I use Prime and Stability as directed, unless there is a need to for nitrogen cycle fluctuations. I do not use carbon dioxide on any of my tanks but I do use air pumps on all my tanks.

i dont know much about co2 posiening what type of system did he have? id assume the co2 will pass out of the fishes system in o2 rich water, as for your friend does he want to get rid of his co2 system?, im on the look out for one :L

Rich oxygenated water would be the best thing in my opinion. My dad suffered from carbon MONOxide poisoning a few years ago, and the treatment for humans is simple: Rich oxygen environment. In the case with people, they are placed into a hyperbaric chamber (increased pressure) and 100% oxygen, to help the body rid itself of the poison faster. Seeing as you don't have access to that sort of technology, nor the medical background to recognize pressure stress, I'd just do everything I could to increase the amount of oxygen in the water.

Ways to increase oxygen in your water:

1 - Add airstones - the more, the better.
2 - Create more surface agitation - possible options: Lower water level for a HOB filter to "splash" the water into the tank. Change the angle of flow from a spraybar for maximum surface disruption. Direct a powerhead to disrupt the water's surface as much as possible.
3 - Lower the temperature of the tank to the minimum recommended for your fish. Higher temp water holds less oxygen, so by extension, lower temps hold more.

Keep an eye on them, but other than that, I don't think there is anything you can do.

i dont know much about co2 posiening what type of system did he have? id assume the co2 will pass out of the fishes system in o2 rich water, as for your friend does he want to get rid of his co2 system?, im on the look out for one :L
Sorry he sold it already. He is selling his 90g tank though.

Rich oxygenated water would be the best thing in my opinion. My dad suffered from carbon MONOxide poisoning a few years ago, and the treatment for humans is simple: Rich oxygen environment. In the case with people, they are placed into a hyperbaric chamber (increased pressure) and 100% oxygen, to help the body rid itself of the poison faster. Seeing as you don't have access to that sort of technology, nor the medical background to recognize pressure stress, I'd just do everything I could to increase the amount of oxygen in the water.

Ways to increase oxygen in your water:

1 - Add airstones - the more, the better.
2 - Create more surface agitation - possible options: Lower water level for a HOB filter to "splash" the water into the tank. Change the angle of flow from a spraybar for maximum surface disruption. Direct a powerhead to disrupt the water's surface as much as possible.
3 - Lower the temperature of the tank to the minimum recommended for your fish. Higher temp water holds less oxygen, so by extension, lower temps hold more.

Keep an eye on them, but other than that, I don't think there is anything you can do.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help. I had fortunately used some common sense and did all the above (if it was not already in place). I always run air stones and have a lower water surface because I want my Mystery snails to breed. The temperature is what Odessa Barbs like, so it is pretty low already. I also run a DIY bio-filter in there which is near the water surface as well. This tank is a tank I would not worry about at all if I for some reason could not get to it on its regular schedule. I did not run any meds as I know many of them reduce oxygen as well. I always add half the recommended dose of API salt (1 TbSp/10g in mine). Should I add more for the sore or should it be enough?

So we are about 22 hrs after getting the new fish. They are all doing a lot better. Even the one that had some pop-eye on one side is looking better. The swelling in the eye is greatly reduced and the burns seem to be coming along well. Thanks again for all the help and support!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back