Tested My Water Now What?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sweeden

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So ive bitten the bullet and spent £30 on the API Master test kit, as the cheaper one (£15) only did 6 tests.

So slight bit of background, tank was previously a fishtank. those fish died and the whole tank was rinsed out thoroughly, however i didnt clean the bog wood and the filter sponges were cleaned in the previous tank water before i rinsed the tank. i refilled the tank with tap water and added stress coat as instructions. Left the tank for a week to just cycle then last week added 6 plants and the bog wood. today (one week later) i tested the water and heres my results....

Ammonia 0.00 > 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 > 5
pH 7.6

So what next??? Can i add fish or should i do a large water change and the whole ammonia thingy-ma-bob

Your tank is uncycled - you need to cycle it and everyone here including myself would suggest you do a fishless cycle using ammonia (you can get this at Homebase or Boots in the UK)

Read this thread; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

right ive read through fishless cycling and everything else and now know what to do but i want start tomorrow. im however going over to liverpool till sunday night will this be ok or do i really need to be around everyday?

Get the first lot of ammonia in before you go - it usually takes 10-14 days for the first drop to zero and nitrites to start showing up. Check it when you get back and see where it is.

Tweak your temp up to 29C before you go to help the bacteria out.

Get the first lot of ammonia in before you go - it usually takes 10-14 days for the first drop to zero and nitrites to start showing up. Check it when you get back and see where it is.

Tweak your temp up to 29C before you go to help the bacteria out.

should i keep the plants in as there are or remove them?

Agree with Katch, get the first ammonia dose in there. The plants can stay (do you have a lamp timer for your lights yet?) You can worry about that later. WD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back