Test strips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stanster59

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some quick test strips ?
I've got the wet kit from ntl labs but want to keep an eye on my parameters a few.times a.day.now.

My daughter uses API 5 IN 1 test strips and they give us a good idea of where things are at. You can carefully cut them in half lengthways to get more for your money. Be aware that they do not test for ammonia.

I use the Tetra test strips to do quick assessments. Way faster and easier than the liquid test kits. When I first got them I did a number of checks against my API liquid test kit. Given you are attempting to discern subtle differences in shades of colors - they were comparable. Just wish they had ammonia independently on there too. For a quick dip to see how things are looking mid-week, they work great. That said, for anything I can, I prefer digital meters.

I rarely do testing these days as with routine periodic partial water changes I feel that the water is as good as it gets and the fish would 'tell' me otherwise. Why do you feel you need to test several times a day???
In any case, although not quite as accurate as the API master kit, most test strips are close enough to serve the purpose.

I rarely do testing these days as with routine periodic partial water changes I feel that the water is as good as it gets and the fish would 'tell' me otherwise. Why do you feel you need to test several times a day???
To me, that sounds like experience shining through! I don't test as often as I once did. But it took a while for me to learn how to notice when things were going awry, and having the test strips/kits helps give piece of mind, especially to those of us who don't have nearly the experience necessary to immediately know what is off and why just by a quick glance. It'll come in time through experience, but until then, I know I can quickly rule out certain issues if something is amiss. I hope I get to where you are someday. But until then, that's why I like to keep them around. Maybe I'll go do a quick dip in the aquarium now... :D

Most reactions

trending

Back