Temporary housing for bristlenose pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Miscalculated2515

Reaction score
So I got a bristlenose pleco from a store several hours away. I have it now so no returning it or anything and I’m already in love. I have a 5 gallon tank with a super chill male betta in it. It is fully cycled and my tests have been pretty consistent so I went to the store to get a snail or some shrimp and the lady points out this tiny tiny baby bristlenose pleco. So of course I buy it and she was like it would be just fine in a 5 gallon. Now I know that is actually false but the thing is that I have always wanted a pleco and I figured I have time before he/she outgrows the tank. He (just gonna go with male until proven otherwise) is about .5 inches rn. I plan on getting a bigger tank in the future probably in a few months or so. How long can I safely house this little pleco in the 5 gallon?

I would personally never keep any fish in with a betta, but that is my opinion.

BNP do grow rather fast. I would say 2-4 months, 4 at the max. These plecos will get to be around 4in long. I suggest a 29g tank minimum.

BNP do grow rather fast. I would say 2-4 months, 4 at the max. These plecos will get to be around 4in long. I suggest a 29g tank minimum.

My betta is super chill. I don’t expect him to be aggressive at all but you never know. I have one semi aggressive betta but I’m keeping him alone for now. I could almost definitely get it in 2-4 months. Also does it depend on what type he is if I have to get a lot bigger tank. Like if he is a certain type that is known to be smaller can he go in like a 10-15 gallon tank? Sorry he was a total impulse buy. I came prepared with all the snail and shrimp knowledge but I noticed some white spots on the fish with the shrimp and they closed the whole column for quarantine and treatment for ick that they already have been fighting. So I couldn’t get what I came to get and now I have a pleco. I do already have driftwood and I bought some algae wafers. Anything else I need specifically for Plecos?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back