Tannins From Mopani Wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ive been soaking it in a cooler with hot water,it keeps the water hot. 2 large pieces. i have been changing the water 3x a day(when the water turns brown). how long do you think it will take?

Just come in on this post,i am curious,why people don,t like tannins in their tank,its natural for a lot of fish,& it really brings out the colours,particularly if you keep Tetra,s,Barb,s,rasbora,s etc.

If you want to get rid of it a bit quicker,you can bleach the wood,but you still have to soak it for a few days.

Same here.

but its getting to be "old law", now. most realise they are good.
if, for some, a little unsightly.

but in the end, each to their own!

words were never spoken truer. but any advice on getting rid of them faster. my tank is clear again but i love the wood. and i am currently going to do a cichlid tank so what should i do with the wood. i bought rocks so idont know what should i do

words were never spoken truer. but any advice on getting rid of them faster. my tank is clear again but i love the wood. and i am currently going to do a cichlid tank so what should i do with the wood. i bought rocks so idont know what should i do

I understand. but advice on how to reduce the tannins, has been given, already.

soak your wood for a few weeks in some form of container. using warm or cold water:
thoroughly scrub the wood in hot water. (DO NOT BOIL IT):
after placing it in the tank, use a carbon section, not carbon sponge, to help with clearing your water:
change the carbon often (say every 2 days):
keep up your water changes (increase them to 2 or 3 times a week, if you wish):
be patient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seems like too much for just wood in my tank

well, how about Bog wood?
I've found it give less problems with colour, in the water (counter intuitive as that might be)

but, unless you use plastic wood (now there is an Oxymoron).
its the only option

well now i am going to try a cichid tank so these pieces were a waste of 40$
and they are huge too. what i am going to do is soak them still and then maybe in they future if i do something else i will have the wood

well now i am going to try a cichid tank so these pieces were a waste of 40$
and they are huge too. what i am going to do is soak them still and then maybe in they future if i do something else i will have the wood

do you have any rivers around your domain?
if so, and you can find somewhere out of the way. place them in there.

There is something you can seal them with that stops them leeching. Can't remember what it is called though. lol.

tha could be useful but i can wait until they stop leeching. after all i am doing cichlids and using stone until the wood is ready

tha could be useful but i can wait until they stop leeching. after all i am doing cichlids and using stone until the wood is ready

only problem with the above is, most mapani floats, to an extent. sealed with this, it will never sink!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back