Tankmates For Red-bellied Piranha (juvenile),

OscarWilde

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there.

I have 2 X Red-bellied Piranha (Juvenile, about 2" long each) in a 30G. I know eveyone has a different take on this so though I would ask here.

Can anyone reccomend any sutible tankmates? Bearing in mind that despite my LFS's assurances about BA Tetras being too fast to get caught turned out to be wrong. One of them was attacked and killed so I moved the others to my 20G.

I have a 55G that I am building up for the Piranha however it will be a few months until I can have it ready.

I love having Piranha but they are rather shy at the moment and would like to liven up the tank a little.

Thanks

Wilde.

that's what i asked, i'm getting RBP soon! i have been told one of the olny things you can put with them is a Red tail cat fish, but they grow Very big. i thought that a big plec would be ok, but on the whole that came back as a no. no too. so i think it will just have to be the red belly's on there lone some.

that's what i asked, i'm getting RBP soon! i have been told one of the olny things you can put with them is a Red tail cat fish, but they grow Very big. i thought that a big plec would be ok, but on the whole that came back as a no. no too. so i think it will just have to be the red belly's on there lone some.

you cant put anything else in with red bellys as they are to aggressive. You should really have more than 2 as well because you need aggression to spread!

They should really be in a 6ft min (IMO), and kept in a slightly larger group.

They should really be in a 6ft min (IMO), and kept in a slightly larger group.

I never buy fish without fully researching them and making sure I can give them what they need in terms of environment.

I have been touch with many owners who have kept them in pairs and alone and done just fine. The reccomended tank size is 20G per fish. I have 2 and will be moving them to a 55G later this year. They are only 2" long at the moment!

Updated: In fact, just seen this from another member on thsi forum:

If you have small number 1 maybe up to 3, you will not see the true behaviour of the RBP as they are of course shoaling fish. They get their confidence in large numbers, so if you have 1 or 2 in with similar sized - larger fish with a bit of a aggressive nature you find the piranhas tend to stay clear. Up the number of RBPs and youll see completly different behaviour as the RBPs feel safe so there fore not scared of the larger fish due to their own large numbers. Catch me drift
Hope you enjoy keeping the reds, they are awesome fish.

You could keep a pacu in a 55 for years without it dieing, doesnt mean its suitable :) at the end of the day, do as you wish, personly, ive seen these fellas fully grown in a tank suitable for them, they were almost oscar size, would I keep 2 oscars in a 55? No chance.

You could keep a pacu in a 55 for years without it dieing, doesnt mean its suitable :) at the end of the day, do as you wish, personly, ive seen these fellas fully grown in a tank suitable for them, they were almost oscar size, would I keep 2 oscars in a 55? No chance.

I appreciate your reply but Im going to defer to the experts on the matter of tank size. Anyway I can always increase the tank size later. It will take a couple of years for them to get to anything like Oscar size.

What I really wanted to know was if anyone had experience with other tank mates.

P.S. I have kept Oscars (If you cant guess by the name lol) I wouldnt keep a mature single Oscar in anything less than a 75G! Piranha grow much slower though and are suited to smaller tanks.

Many thanks

Piranha's with non piranha tankmates always inevitably ends up with a just piranha tank, anything you keep with them is a potential meal as the rules of mouth sizes just dont count when the piranha can just reduce the fish to mouth sized portions with a single bite. Anything you try will be a risk.

It is common knowledge that to get the best from RBP they should be kept in adequate sized tank and in groups of 6 or more fish.

Piranha's with non piranha tankmates always inevitably ends up with a just piranha tank, anything you keep with them is a potential meal as the rules of mouth sizes just dont count when the piranha can just reduce the fish to mouth sized portions with a single bite. Anything you try will be a risk.

OK that seems like a consenus. Thanks for the advice.

It is common knowledge that to get the best from RBP they should be kept in adequate sized tank

My fish are! I am not a cruel fish owner! I did weeks of research before I got the Piranha. a 55G is more than enough for 2 adult fish. Anyone who keeps P's would tell you that.

they should be kept in adequate sized tank and in groups of 6 or more fish.

If you do some research you will find that the size of shoal only affects behavior, not growth or health.

Just one link http://www.piranhaforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=411

I know I am new to the forum and I'm sorry if I seem rude, that is not my intention but I dont want people to read this and think they can't keep Piranha without a 6ft tank. They are great fish!

Hope I have'nt made too bad a start on this forum, I dont want to argue, everyone here seems great. :)

Thanks

Wilde.

The trouble with keeping small numbers of predatory schooling fish is con specific aggression, with a larger number of fish the aggression is spread over the group and no one individual gets too much of a beating. When you only keep two of a schooling species of piranha the aggression is focused just on the two fish only and at some point one of them will be very badly damaged and/or killed. I would certainly add some more to the tank with a view to upgrading as and when it may be necessary.

I had rp for a couple of years in a 30g and at first they were being fed guppies and there where always a few swimming around not being eaten
when my rbp got bigger there were two guppies and they bred until there was a small shoal
when I decided to get rid of the guppies ( breeding 2 much )
then i got 5 neons and they lived with the rbp until the terrible ich out break
always keep feeder fish in a quarinteen tank for a week found that out the hard way
hope that helps :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back