Tankless Fishless Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you plan on having the media in the filter and running? If so I don't see why not it would be no different then in a tank.

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be the same as a tank. I have a small filter that has room enough for a filter sponge that fits the filter for the new 30 gallon tank, and a large air driven sponge filter that I plan on cutting up and jump starting my 110 gallon (well, I get the tank, stand, glass tops, and a HUGE undergravel filter new in package for free, I just gotta talk the wife into letting me bring it home :hey: )

Hi Robby, I did some bucket fishless cycling and didn't notice any problems other than thinking at the time that the lips of a lot of those plastic containers might make it hard to hang some types of aquarium equipment. I was doing it out in a shed.

Is this your subtle way of letting us know you're getting back into the big tank game, lol? I hope this means more pictures of your beautiful rainbows and bozzzz! I might have to consider a side trip next time I head in the charleston direction :lol: .

WD

WD - Simpsonville is right on the way to Easley....you might have to make two stops!! Robby - hope the cycling goes well. I have a couple swimmers for it when you are ready!

This is a great idea, why has nobody ever thought of it before?

When you have finished your tank-less cycle fancy trying to flog my box full of phone-less cords? :lol:

Actually Gvilleguy, if you wouldn't mind, can you donate a small piece of media to speed things along? :D

It's been running since since Monday, and so far my tests are to be expected:

Ammonia 5.0ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 8.4
Temp 80F
GH >1
KH >1

You got it - I'll pick up a spare sponge for my Fluval this weekend and then i can cut off a bit of the existing one for you.

Ok, 1 week in.

Everything is still nominal:

Temp: 80-82 F
Ammonia: 4 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 8.2

native KH and GH are both >1 but I have added sodium bicarbonate to put my pH in the optimal range.

lucky you, some actual mineral molecules, lol

(gotta keep coming back here because dorsey's post creates the best laugh)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back