TANK WATER help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mistymercer

Reaction score
I have a 10gl freshwater aquarium. I use my tap water and treat it with "nutrafin tap water conditioner for bettas) and a filter.

I have;
1 betta
1 molly
4 tetras

I did a tip test and my GH and KH are both at the max (180 and 240) my PH is 7.5/8!!! I've been cycling the water and treating every time! HELP!!!

What do you want help with?

I have a 10gl freshwater aquarium. I use my tap water and treat it with "nutrafin tap water conditioner for bettas) and a filter.

I have;
1 betta
1 molly
4 tetras

I did a tip test and my GH and KH are both at the max (180 and 240) my PH is 7.5/8!!! I've been cycling the water and treating every time! HELP!!!
HI Misty. GH & KH relate to the hardness of the water, not the ammonia cycle. These impact your pH ie soft water is acidic and hard is alkaline. I'm not a seasoned expert but pretty sure that's an issue for Betta and Tetras, though Mollies love hard water. In terms of solving it people do complicated things with reverse osmosis water mixed with their usual tapwater to get the right hardness . I think if I channelled the expertise on here, many would say maybe give the betta and tetras back to your local fish shop and focus on fish that like hard water

If you use all tap water, the betta and tetras will not be happy, but if you lower the hardness by mixing tap water with pure water (RO water), the mollies won't be happy.

To be totally honest with you, a 10 gallon tank is too small for mollies - they are big fish. If this was my tank I would give serious thought to returning all the fish and getting small hard water fish such as endlers.
Even if you take the molly back and mix in RO water to lower the hardness, 10 gallons is too small for almost all tetras. But it is suitable for a betta on his own.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear this :(

If you use all tap water, the betta and tetras will not be happy, but if you lower the hardness by mixing tap water with pure water (RO water), the mollies won't be happy.

To be totally honest with you, a 10 gallon tank is too small for mollies - they are big fish. If this was my tank I would give serious thought to returning all the fish and getting small hard water fish such as endlers.
Even if you take the molly back and mix in RO water to lower the hardness, 10 gallons is too small for almost all tetras. But it is suitable for a betta on his own.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear this :(
yes, lower the gh and ph and keep the betta and tetras, plus mollies like to be together...
i reccomend starting a bigger maybe 30g to take caere of molly and get him/her some friends

ten gallons... I don't like tetras and bettas together for the betta's well being and mollies need a big space. it really comes down to who do you want to keep in the 10

DO you know is it Male or Female Betta ... ?
Male betta. He's always been very calm and not aggressive. Not sure molly gender. He's pretty mellow but he's circling the tank and I know that's what animals do all day when in captivity when bored. I'm prob moving better to new tank alone. Not sure what do with molly can't afford a larger tank so possibly have to rehome....☹

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back