... Tank Water Feels Slimey?

donny7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I stuck my hand in my fish tank earlier and it feels rather slimey. I cannot see any algae present, nor do my fish seem bothered. They're all very active, eating well, and only one is in hiding... but I think it may be pregnant. Anyway, it's a 30 gallon, has gravel substrate, no live plants, I use a 40 gallon aqua clear filter with all required media.. I also use tetra aquasafe plus conditioner, which seems to have an agent that boosts the slime coats of fish.

I can't quite figure it out.. it smells kinda odd too. Should I do a water change?

Well, how odd! I've honestly never heard of such a thing...

In any circumstances a water change is normally the best thing to do. What is the smell like? Can you describe it at all? Might help.

It smells like, fishy. I mean, I know the water has a distinct smell... it's not pungent, but it it is kind of overwhelming. I'll change out 10 gallons or so and hopefully this helps. :) Just trying to make sure there isn't an imminent bacteria outburst preparing to kill off my fish!

Are you sure you haven't got anything dead in there?

How about a water change, you can never go wrong when it comes to them!

I have a few dead tetras somewhere, only 2. They disappeared. I believe my loach may have got them, but I'm not entirely sure..

Also, I have one last question, off topic, because I don't want to flood with threads :) Is this overstocked? For a 20 gallon long tank.

x5 red minor tetras
x5 glowlight teras
x4 zebra danios
x1 honey sunset gourami

I think the conditioner you`re using contains aloe vera, that could account for the water texture. I would say your stocking is ok so long as you never see ammonia or nitrite and your filter isn`t producing vast amounts of nitrate

The best way to find out if you have a problem is to test your water. You say your fish dont seem bothered but there is obviously a problem if you have 'a few dead tetras somewhere'! What are your water stats???

The problem really needs sorting if your fish are dying, what are your water stats?

Water that smells bad is water that is bad. A properly functioning tank might take on the odor of freshly turned garden soil but should have no more of an odor than that. If it smells fishy or has other off odors, something about it is not quite right. A huge water change can often resolve any problems your tank may be experiencing. Losing any fish is a challenge for most of us. It means that something about the tank is not right. it could be your loach, as you have speculated, but I would try to check everything else too.

Most reactions

Back