Using multiple medications in a quarantine tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you think the tank would be large enough to QT a couple Trigonostigma hengeli specifically?
oh for sure. If it were me I would have 6 of them in the QT. It's not like they are aggressive and will be in each others face, and just a couple might stress them out. It's a small volume of water but if you do good water change routine like 30-50% twice a week? Such a doddle doing w/c in a small tank. The more experienced might think I am being overly ambitious here because of the size of the tank, let's see. To me it is irreverent if it's a tank or a tub for a QT set up, as long as it holds water!

These fish are very small are they not? How big do you reckon yours will be, half-an-inch, a tad over? If I have got that wrong, then my whole idea might be wrong!

Is the 20 litres the amount of actual water that you have seen it can hold? You have not gone to the top? And plus by removing most of the sand, I wonder how much water we left with?

I know money is tight, but a few strands of something like elodea densea or hornwort floating around at the top, even if the filter is moving it around, might reassure fish like that. @Byron always brings it up.

oh for sure. If it were me I would have 6 of them in the QT. It's not like they are aggressive and will be in each others face, and just a couple might stress them out. It's a small volume of water but if you do good water change routine like 30-50% twice a week? Such a doddle doing w/c in a small tank. The more experienced might think I am being overly ambitious here because of the size of the tank, let's see. To me it is irreverent if it's a tank or a tub for a QT set up, as long as it holds water!

These fish are very small are they not? How big do you reckon yours will be, half-an-inch, a tad over? If I have got that wrong, then my whole idea might be wrong!

Is the 20 litres the amount of actual water that you have seen it can hold? You have not gone to the top? And plus by removing most of the sand, I wonder how much water we left with?

I know money is tight, but a few strands of something like elodea densea or hornwort floating around at the top, even if the filter is moving it around, might reassure fish like that. @Byron always brings it up.

Yes, after reading replies from both you and Byron, I am definitely going to get at least ten. I'd get them when they are about 0.8 of an inch (that's what the website says.)

20 Litres is the amount of water in the QT right now, if I remove most or all of the sand and fill the tub right up then I could probably get another 2-5 litres I'd say. Just a guess though! I can work on that tomorrow.

I already have some hornwort in my main tank, so the next time I trim it I can add the cuttings to the QT. I cut down the longest ones to add some to a back corner only yesterday, but that's the second time I've trimmed it. I'll definitely have some to pop in by the time it comes to quarantining any fish.

There are some issues affecting fish in this, worth keeping in mind. First is, definitely you want to acquire the full intended group of a species together. This makes quite a difference; the more there are, the less stressed, and that means less chance of ich. Second poont, you do not want to not have a substrate; this too is stressful, though if the bottom is not reflective (glass and acrylic are reflective, highly so) this is less of a concern. The point here though is to introduce the new fish to as stable and established environment as you can. Obviously, a temporary QT is not going to be established, but you get as close as you can.

I know the space is small, but you work with what you have. Ten juvenile rasbora will acclimate much better than two or three in the same space.

I take it you do not have floating plants. I cannot stress this enough, these are your lifesavers. Here for example, if you had floaters in the display tank, you could drop a few in here and not only do you no longer have any cycling issues, you also have shade and cover, and the fish will be that much better.
I don't currently have any floating plants. When I first set up my tank I did have a small amount of frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) and it was doing really well for the first five day, lots of root growth. But then died pretty much overnight. Maybe they were burned by the light? My tank is lidded so naturally any floating plants would be close to the light. Unfortunately having a lid is non-negotiable as there are two cats in my house!

I really want to give floating plants another try, especially since my other plants are doing quite well. I'm thinking of trying red root floaters (Phyllanthus Fluitans.)

If they can manage such a small QT tank, then it sounds like the full group is a far better option than only a few. It would work out better for me too, because it would mean less shipping costs if I get them all together.

I know shipping isn't easy on fish but I don't have many options. Its either overnight shipping or a few buses and walks to get from where I live to a bigger aquarium store near Dublin. (I'm down in west cork). I don't even think I'd even find the fish I'd want in Dublin, looks like the rasboras I want aren't in the Irish aquarium shops. There is one fish store within an hours drive, and it is not an option. Both times that I've visited the tanks looked poorly kept, with a few dead fish. There are only goldfish, bala sharks, harliquins, guppys and neons anyways.

The place I would fish buy from:
https://www.masterfisch.eu/en/

Yes, after reading replies from both you and Byron, I am definitely going to get at least ten. I'd get them when they are about 0.8 of an inch (that's what the website says.)

20 Litres is the amount of water in the QT right now, if I remove most or all of the sand and fill the tub right up then I could probably get another 2-5 litres I'd say. Just a guess though! I can work on that tomorrow.

I already have some hornwort in my main tank, so the next time I trim it I can add the cuttings to the QT. I cut down the longest ones to add some to a back corner only yesterday, but that's the second time I've trimmed it. I'll definitely have some to pop in by the time it comes to quarantining any fish.
Just leave a thin layer of sand as it looks nicer, the fish would appreciate it, and it won't come at a cost of anything, everyone's a winner :D

Just leave a thin layer of sand as it looks nicer, the fish would appreciate it, and it won't come at a cost of anything, everyone's a winner :D
Sounds like a plan!

Sounding good. Agree, a thin layer of sand is preferable. Add any floating plants you can, including the cut stems, good. Get all of the rasboras at one go, good. Shouldn't have any trouble.

To hold a cycle in a tank which doesn't contain fish, you can dose ammonia. I use ammonium chloride. This is available from Dr. Tim's and is called Ammonium chloride or from Fritz Aquatics as Fishless Fuel Ammonia Solution for Aquariums.

To hold the cycle add 1 -2 ppm every other day but not more than 3 days apart. It is also important to stoll do a weekly water change for nitrate. And when you are ready to add fish be sure to do a big water change first. Test to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite in the tank before adding the fish. Go with Byrons advice in that respect.

I have used Rubbermaid container for fish. I get one with a lid so I can use it to partly cover the tub but It cannot be closed as it normally would. Just reast it on top of the container so the powrr chords etc. can get into the tank. I have used such containers with both a hang on filter or an air powered sponge. The container should be for fish use only.

If you can go for one of the clearer containers if you can as it is easier to see the fish.

To hold a cycle in a tank which doesn't contain fish, you can dose ammonia. I use ammonium chloride. This is available from Dr. Tim's and is called Ammonium chloride or from Fritz Aquatics as Fishless Fuel Ammonia Solution for Aquariums.

To hold the cycle add 1 -2 ppm every other day but not more than 3 days apart. It is also important to stoll do a weekly water change for nitrate. And when you are ready to add fish be sure to do a big water change first. Test to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite in the tank before adding the fish. Go with Byrons advice in that respect.

I have used Rubbermaid container for fish. I get one with a lid so I can use it to partly cover the tub but It cannot be closed as it normally would. Just reast it on top of the container so the powrr chords etc. can get into the tank. I have used such containers with both a hang on filter or an air powered sponge. The container should be for fish use only.

If you can go for one of the clearer containers if you can as it is easier to see the fish.

Ammonia solutions made for aquarium cycling, household ammonia without additives, pure ammonia or ammonia chloride are all near impossible to get in Ireland. But I managed to find pure ammonium bicarbonate that is intended for baking. I boiled 50mls of water with 16 grams of 100% ammonium bicarbonate and that created a perfectly good cycling solution.
(At boiling temperature ammonium bicarbonate breaks down into pure ammonia, water vapour and tiny amounts of carbon dioxide.)

I cut a hole at the edge of the plastic lid to create a space for the chords etc to fit through, so the lid still closes normally. I might superglue some mesh from a substrate mesh bag as a safety precaution. I do plan to use the tub as part of a QT set up only.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back