Algae problem cant get rid of the green water no matter what we do! Feel like giving up!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm not sure what this is...
20230818_092526.jpg
Is it normal to have dark green tips on a Java fern? It's been in the tank about 2 weeks.

I'm not sure what this is...View attachment 325240Is it normal to have dark green tips on a Java fern? It's been in the tank about 2 weeks.
It's hard to see from the pic but it could be a little die off on the plant, which isn't that unusual when it's new, or possibly a bit of algae. You can prune off the end if it's just that part affected and see how it goes

I'm not sure what this is...View attachment 325240Is it normal to have dark green tips on a Java fern? It's been in the tank about 2 weeks.
Thanks. If I prune the end will it grow back?
Hello. Java Fern grows in most lighting conditions. But, it really is a moderate or medium light plant. If you have lighting other than moderate, you'll get different growth patterns. Growth is from individual leaves, so it's best not to prune them. Changes in leaves is some form of reproduction that's unique to this plant. I keep a 45 gallon tall tank and the Java Fern in it is quite a few years old. It goes through browning and nearly transparent leaves, then greens up and grows very quickly. It has literally covered the bottom of the tank. I use a couple of NICREW LED lights and the lighting seems to be what it needs. The plant in your photo looks fine to me.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back