Tank Not Level?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dare

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I believe my tank isn't level. It's sitting on a floating desk that I've been informed should support well over the weight a 10 gallon would reach. I've sat on it myself and didn't hear or feel any sort of creaking, popping, groaning, or adjusting. However, my tank is wobbling. I've checked the desk with a level and it seems to be pretty darn level, but when I set the tank on it, if I press the back right corner, the front left corner lifts up a little shy of 1/4th an inch. I've tried putting the tank on other surfaces I know to be level and gotten less drastic wobbles, but wobbles nonetheless. I'd really prefer for the tank to go on the desk, but maybe my level is off? Or maybe the tank itself isn't level?

I'm not sure. I'm not quite sure if such a small gap makes much of a difference in the first place. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Dare

bear in mind a 10 Us gallon tank weighs 83 pounds, you could always level the tank with a soft matting of some sort like neoprene or a camping bed.

bear in mind a 10 Us gallon tank weighs 83 pounds, you could always level the tank with a soft matting of some sort like neoprene or a camping bed.
I've got a yoga mat I thought about folding up and sticking under there. However, I've read that doesn't solve the problem as soft matting will just compress down into whatever was unlevel to begin with. Is it possible that my tank is small enough that a mat folded over on itself would provide enough support to fix the issue?

Sounds to me there is a flaw in the tank itself. A tank should never wobble on a flat surface. Try setting the tank upside down (provided it is empty) and see if it wobbles then.

Usually if a tank has a flaw like yours seems to have it would not be the best idea to put water in it. An uneven tank is far more likely to spring a leak. I've had 2 leaky tanks, both fully planted and stocked when it happened. It was not fun.

Because 10gals are still pretty small it might be safe to use the mat. I'd at least make sure the tank is 100% water worthy before giving it a go though.

If this was going on with any thing larger than a 10gal I'd say get a different tank.

Sounds to me there is a flaw in the tank itself. A tank should never wobble on a flat surface. Try setting the tank upside down (provided it is empty) and see if it wobbles then.

Usually if a tank has a flaw like yours seems to have it would not be the best idea to put water in it. An uneven tank is far more likely to spring a leak. I've had 2 leaky tanks, both fully planted and stocked when it happened. It was not fun...

It still wobbles when I turn it upside down. Maybe I'm not using the level correctly. -_-

I had it filled for at least a good year pretty much right before I moved here, and it's just been sitting in one spot waiting for me to cycle it. This is my second tank of this brand, however, as the first one sprung a leak on me. I'm pretty sure that one was my fault, as it wasn't on a very level surface. That's why I'm so concerned about this. :(

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back