Tank mates for Black ghost knife fish

Why not just go down the Discus route, I had BGK and African Butterflies with Discus. No problems. Everyone stuck to there own areas. Happy as.

Yeah, ill definitely consider discus, at the moment the theme of the tank is sort of a darker swamp-like tank with many prehistoric-looking fish but if i can find maybe some brown discus i may give them a go but the really bright coloured discus may look out of place
:)

Hmmm IMO glass catfish and upside down catfish may end up as dinner eventually for the ghost knifeā€¦ however Iā€™ve had large fish with small fish without too many dramas but it really depends on the fish. I probably wouldnā€™t risk it but itā€™s up to you.
If youā€™re after a pleco in this setup Iā€™d go for a medium-larger pleco so the BGK doesnā€™t end up eating it.
Iā€™d recommend the gold nugget or vampire pleco. Butterfly pleco might work as well but theyā€™re a little on the small side maxing out at 14cm. The other two max out at around 20-24 cm
ok thanks ill pass on those catfish, I really like the pleco suggestions you gave the vampire pelco fits the darker tank theme :)

maybe a feather fin catfish what does everyone think about that as an opption

Go with a panaque
Picture 257.jpg

1630234597874.png

ill be adding one of these to my tank thanks so much for teh suggestion

I definitely wouldnā€™t keep any type of plec with a bgk. It will compete for its hide and the bgk will get scratched. They respond very badly to most disease treatments, so getting scratched can mean bye bye bgk. Clown loaches also, a definite no.

On another note, bgks are not predators. Their natural diet is insect larvae. They will only eat a fish if theyā€™re very hungry. Iā€™ve kept them with fry and they wonā€™t touch them. And thereā€™s no way they could eat a plec.

Thereā€™s no shortage of fish that can live with them. Tetras, Barbs, Rainbows, Gouramies... in fact anything thatā€™s peaceful...

Last edited:
o
I definitely wouldnā€™t keep any type of plec with a bgk. It will compete for its hide and the bgk will get scratched. They respond very badly to most disease treatments, so getting scratched can mean bye bye bgk. Clown loaches also, a definite no.

On another note, bgks are not predators. Their natural diet is insect larvae. They will only eat a fish if theyā€™re very hungry. Iā€™ve kept them with fry and they wonā€™t touch them. And thereā€™s no way they could eat a plec.
oh ok thank for the info will a pleco be a problem in a big tank or is it a complete no

what about a full-size banjo catfish they get about 6 inches would that work also if a BGK wouldn't eat a fish could a ropefish then work as ropefish also have small mouths or is the problem that they live in the same space

Complete no for any plec, ime. You donā€™t want anything that has spines or armour.

Banjos hide in the substrate and hardly ever move. Youā€™ll have difficulty getting it fed.

If itā€™s any help I kept my last bgk with assorted silver dollars and barbs.

I've had experience target feeding hard to feed fish so maybe that could work with a banjo catfish

If itā€™s any help I kept my last bgk with assorted silver dollars and barbs.
I did think silver dollar but I'm not to shore if they would be ok in my tank size that I plan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back