Tank mates for Black ghost knife fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm curious, I'm planning to create a tank around a black ghost knife fish and I was wondering what is a safe tank mate for them, I'm a big fan of oddball fish so any other oddballs that would work would be really appreciated.

maybe a Senegal bichir, maybe an African butterflyfish or some type of catfish.

but really any suggestion of any type of fish that makes good tank mates would be appreciated

thanks
ember

It might be best to first consider the tank size. This knifefish requires a tank that is at least three times its length, and wider than its length. At maturity, this means a 6-foot by 2-foot (180cm by 60cm) tank, and this is minimum; smaller tanks can accommodate the fish as it grows, but the tank should always be no less than triple length and wider than the fish's length. It has an inflexible spine and cannot turn without the width.

A timid fish but predatory, territorial and aggressive within its own species. It should be maintained either as a single specimen or in a group of 6 in a very large tank, never in pairs or smaller groups. It will likely eat small fish, so tankmates should be 6 inches or more. Well suited with angelfish, discus or the medium peaceful South American cichlids such as Geophagus species. Avoid any nippy or aggressive fish. Knifefish produce an electrical field used to hunt prey, and must never be kept with other electric fish.

It would be best to have the large tank now, so the fish can settle into their permanent life-long home. You'll note that the fish mentioned above are all on the large size, so all of this works together from day one.

Discus are great tank mates for Knife fish. If you like African Butterflies they are fine as well as they just hang about on the surface of the tank.

It might be best to first consider the tank size. This knifefish requires a tank that is at least three times its length, and wider than its length. At maturity, this means a 6-foot by 2-foot (180cm by 60cm) tank, and this is minimum; smaller tanks can accommodate the fish as it grows, but the tank should always be no less than triple length and wider than the fish's length. It has an inflexible spine and cannot turn without the width.

A timid fish but predatory, territorial and aggressive within its own species. It should be maintained either as a single specimen or in a group of 6 in a very large tank, never in pairs or smaller groups. It will likely eat small fish, so tankmates should be 6 inches or more. Well suited with angelfish, discus or the medium peaceful South American cichlids such as Geophagus species. Avoid any nippy or aggressive fish. Knifefish produce an electrical field used to hunt prey, and must never be kept with other electric fish.

It would be best to have the large tank now, so the fish can settle into their permanent life-long home. You'll note that the fish mentioned above are all on the large size, so all of this works together from day one.
Thanks for this input, I was planning a large tank around 150 gallons plus maybe closer to 180 gallons. with the black ghost knife being solo with a few other odd ball fish.

Discus are great tank mates for Knife fish. If you like African Butterflies they are fine as well as they just hang about on the surface of the tank.
great thanks a lot
:)

Playing around with numbers I think that the final tank size will be about 280 gallons with a footprint of 6'3" (190.5 cm) length, 3' (92 cm) width and 2' (60 cm) height.
would this tank size be ok for a Black ghost knife for its whole life.
Also in this tank as far as tank mates I was thinking of creating a sort of prehistoric swamp style tank, I love Senegal bichir but some people think they can't live with BGK, this is the same for rope fish. Would one rope fish and one Senegal bichir be ok in this tank with the BGK, alongside a leopard bush fish or the African bush fish is one on my list with African butterflyfish. would any of these be ok? thanks for your advice
ember

I think it depends on the size of the fish. I would be a little concerned that the Birchir would chase down the Knife fish. But just a little concerned, that is a big tank. The others should be fine. It is one of those things that may or may not work out.

I think it depends on the size of the fish. I would be a little concerned that the Birchir would chase down the Knife fish. But just a little concerned, that is a big tank. The others should be fine. It is one of those things that may or may not work out.
I agree. Personally I wouldnā€™t risk a bichir, but the others would be fine.
Nice tank. A 16ā€ BGK canā€™t turn round in 2ā€™ width without doing a 3-point turn, so 3ā€™ wide is a great width for them. :)

Two vital things with BGKs are... no aggressive tank mates, and nothing nocturnal that will compete for its hide.

Tank size is excellent. The knifefish determines what you can have in the same tank, and bichirs and ropefish do not meet that criteria.

The leopard bushfish Ctenopoma acutirostre should work, provided they are not very small initially as the knifefish might eat them. But as mature fish, both need almost the identical habitat conditions so they are well suited.

The butterfly, Pantodon buchholzi is sympatric with the C. acutirostre in their habitat, though this does not necessarily mean they are compatible within the confines of an aquarium--natural habitats and aquaria are two very different environments. But they would not normally get in one another's way; they are both ambush predators and thus very still (as opposed to swimmers) fish. Provided they have lots of suitable cover they would be fine.

Many view "aggression" as physical attacks, but it is much more. Two fish that never even get close to one another can still be aggressive toward each other, and cause serious stress to the weaker. Pheromones and allomones, chemical signals fish use to communicate within their species (pheromones) and with other species (allomones) must be recognized for the risks involved. You will often never see this so far as external interactions are concerned until the weaker fish dies.

The leopard bushfish Ctenopoma acutirostre should work, provided they are not very small initially as the knifefish might eat them. But as mature fish, both need almost the identical habitat conditions so they are well suited.

That has reminded me. Black Ghosts are actually from fast flowing streams and rivers, whereas the bush fish is from slow to still areas.

Yes.

Origin and Habitat: Widely distributed in the northern half of South America. Found in fast-flowing shallow streams and rivers having a soft substrate, usually sand and leaf litter, with branches, tree roots, etc.. During the wet season they move into the flooded forest.

Given the intended tankmates, the Ctenopoma and the Pantadon, which absolutely need still water, the aquarist can take the "flooded forest" habitat as the prevailing. The Vancouver Aquarium has a huge floor-to ceiling tank with a group of the knifefish and a group of angelfish, and these fish have been in that tank for years. It is very quiet water-movement wise.
This has reminded me...the African Butterfly does well in a pair (male and female are easy to differentiate from the shape of the anal fin) or a small group, and you have the surface space for this so it would be a shame not to enjoy their interactive behaviours. The following from my published profile of this species may be of interest.

Pantodon buchholzi is indeed a remarkable species. There are two distinct populations known in the wild, one in the Niger River basin and one in the basin of the Congo River, and only recently have these been shown to have significant genetic differences that have existed for at least 57.2 million years. In spite of this, the species is an example of what is termed "morphological stasis," which means that the morphology (the form or shape) has remained virtually unchanged throughout the species' existence. This constancy is believed to be greater than that of all vertebrate examples in fossil records (Lavoue, et al, 2011; cited in Dawes, 2011). Further study may determine that these are in fact two distinct species; the genetic differences between the two populations are so wide that "they might even be reproductively isolated owing to genetic incompatibilities." (Dawes, 2011).​
This fish is capable of aerial respiration using the swim bladder. And the eyes are designed so that the fish can simultaneously see above and below the surface of the water. This is of particular importance when one considers that this fish has over-sized pectoral fins which are used to propel them out of the water, in the manner of the freshwater hatchetfishes, to catch flying insects and they can glide several feet. A good secure cover to the tank is strictly necessary and all holes for the filtration systems, air hoses, heaters, etc. must be very small.​
This fish was described by W.C.H. Peters in 1876. It is the only species in the genus, and there are no other genera in the family. The name Pantodontidae is derived from the Greek pan [= all] and odous [= tooth, teeth]. The species epithet honours a Professor Buchholz who discovered this species. Two sub-species described by C. Bruning in 1911 were determined by Gosse (1984) to be conspecific with the subject species.​
Pantodontidae is closely related to the family Osteoglossidae (Arowana) and these along with five other families that include the Arapaima, Elephantnoses and Knifefishes, belong to the Order Osteoglossiformes. The name derives from the Greek osteon [= bone] and glossa [= tongue] plus the Latin forma [= shape], and in English these fishes are referred to as the bony tongues. This is a very primitive order, with fossil records as far back as the late Jurassic period (roughly 161 to 145 million years ago). To put this into perspective, this was the period when the supercontinent Pangaea broke up into the two supercontinents Laurasia and Gondwana, which in time further divided into the continents as we know them today.​

To be fair Iā€™ve kept all my bgks in what amounts to negligible flow compared to what theyā€™re built for. What can you do? Even a manifold tank is a poor substitute. Just make sure itā€™s well aerated, is the main thing.

I definitely wouldnā€™t put a BGK in with a bichir. I unfortunately did that and ended up with a dead ghost knife :(
I would recommend plecos tho. Iā€™ve currently got a sailfin in with my bichir and the get along well, often sleeping under the same driftwood. If you could get your hands on an L600 or similar it would definitely fit in with the prehistoric looking vibes that youā€™re going for. As long as you have the spaceā€¦
Other than that Iā€™ve kept clown loaches and tapajos with BGK.
I highly recommend some kind of geophagus because theyā€™re beautiful to watch when your ghost knife is hiding during the day :)

thanks to everyone for their input, ill drop the bichir and ropefish from the tank don't want any fighting. as far as other fish, the 3 species I've got at the moment the BGK, bush fish and butterfly fish I don't think will make the tank feel active enough what does everyone think about glass catfish or upside-down catfish for the tank would they be a match if not then that's fine.

I have another dedicated geophagous tank in the works so I don't want to add more to this tank as it may seem quite repetitive.

are there another non-predatory catfish that may work?
any plecos?
I've also seen chuca catfish but I don't think these will work as they can swallow large fish
I'm also attracted to gar but maybe not

just want to add a bit of movement to this large tank

thanks, ember :)

Last edited:
thanks to everyone for their input, ill drop the bichir and ropefish from the tank don't want any fighting. as far as other fish, the 3 species I've got at the moment the BGK, bush fish and butterfly fish I don't think will make the tank feel active enough what does everyone think about glass catfish or upside-down catfish for the tank would they be a match if not then that's fine.

I have another dedicated geophagous tank in the works so I don't want to add more to this tank as it may seem quite repetitive.

are there another non-predatory catfish that may work?
any plecos?
I've also seen chuca catfish but I don't think these will work as they can swallow large fish
I'm also attracted to gar but maybe not

just want to add a bit of movement to this large tank

thanks, ember :)
Hmmm IMO glass catfish and upside down catfish may end up as dinner eventually for the ghost knifeā€¦ however Iā€™ve had large fish with small fish without too many dramas but it really depends on the fish. I probably wouldnā€™t risk it but itā€™s up to you.
If youā€™re after a pleco in this setup Iā€™d go for a medium-larger pleco so the BGK doesnā€™t end up eating it.
Iā€™d recommend the gold nugget or vampire pleco. Butterfly pleco might work as well but theyā€™re a little on the small side maxing out at 14cm. The other two max out at around 20-24 cm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back