Tank mates for Black ghost knife fish

arent silver dollars plant eaters

Yes. And if you have the bushfish you need plants for it to hide in (it is an ambush predator), and the Butterfly needs floating plants.

There are some "prehistoric" looking loricariids that could work here. Rineloricaria parva, the common whiptail (the "Royal" species get much larger, still might work). And the Farlowella vitatta (again the "Royal" is a different genus and they get quite large). You can have a group of either or both.

Yes. And if you have the bushfish you need plants for it to hide in (it is an ambush predator), and the Butterfly needs floating plants.

There are some "prehistoric" looking loricariids that could work here. Rineloricaria parva, the common whiptail (the "Royal" species get much larger, still might work). And the Farlowella vitatta (again the "Royal" is a different genus and they get quite large). You can have a group of either or both.
wow ok i really like both these species but most of all those royal whiptail catfish these will make a really nice addition

Thank you, everyone, for your help so far I have narrowed my 280-gallon stocking to:

1 black ghost knife fish
1 leopard bush fish
a small group of African butterflyfish
1 banjo catfish
1 royal whiptail catfish

I'm really happy with all these fish still looking for a fish to add some movement but so far looking great, thanks to everyone that has suggested fish.
does everything with this stocking look ok at the moment

thanks, ember

Last edited:
ok so I have just seen a hujeta gar which isn't true gars but in the tetra family, I love gars but they are too big but these stay much smaller would one of these work in my tank I think it would be so cool I love them
I think there also known as silver gar or rocket gar

ok so I have just seen a hujeta gar which isn't true gars but in the tetra family, I love gars but they are too big but these stay much smaller would one of these work in my tank I think it would be so cool I love them
I think there also known as silver gar or rocket gar

I would be concerned over it being an upper water fish (the Butterflys might have issues with this) and it is a predator. Data on the species:

In 280 gallons, I think you will want a group of both the catfish species you have chosen. An individual will just disappear in such a large tank.

before thinking about stocking the tank you need to find out where you're going to put it, if the floor is going to support it, etc
if you don't have a concrete slab foundation i wouldn't even think about doing this without some sort of structural engineer
so, are you being serious or just asking theoretical questions here?

In 280 gallons, I think you will want a group of both the catfish species you have chosen. An individual will just disappear in such a large tank.
ok great ill make sure to get a small group of each do you think a group of 5 of each would work

before thinking about stocking the tank you need to find out where you're going to put it, if the floor is going to support it, etc
if you don't have a concrete slab foundation i wouldn't even think about doing this without some sort of structural engineer
so, are you being serious or just asking theoretical questions here?
no being serious I want to build this tank, I haven't fully decided on a position but it will be on the ground floor of my house on a custom-built reinforced fish cabinate

on a custom-built reinforced fish cabinate
a well-built cabinet is not going to help if your floor can't support the weight
do you have a concrete slab on ground floor?
if you don't have a slab, you seriously need to look into reinforcing the floor
trust me, if you don't, it'll fall through eventually

i think 5 banjo catfish is still way too little for a tank this size, you'll never see them
add 10 to every species except farlowella and knifefish - that'd be better for a tank this size
you still need more species though IMO, maybe some catfish

you need to well-plant the tank for your fish selection too
and i don't mean lightly, i mean bushy to where you can't see the back
that's going to cost about $1000 USD (if you buy from reasonably priced places), so you have an idea

On the issue of groups...this might not be an advantage. You have a certain aquascape in mind, and if you start throwing in a group of Royal Farlowella for example, this is a game changer.

Re the support, I agree that a tank this large must be on a concrete slab lower level. Any normal wood frame construction is not likely sufficient support.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back