Tank mates for Black ghost knife fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

im not sure of a good replacment
get some largeish catfish like synodontis (plant safe species only though)
there's a ton of variety and i'm sure you'll find a unique species for you tank

Last edited by a moderator:
what about Synodontis granulosus I love the colouration

what about Synodontis granulosus I love the colouration
their pH requirement looks to be on the high side, so it wouldn't work for the knifefish
check the planet catfish website for compatibility before you ask, they list tons of synodontis species on there

I have decided to drop the banjo cats and will move them to a differnt tank i have planed, As far as a replacment I think a small group of Synodontis granulosus (cuckoo catfish) will be really nice I will probebly get a group of 5 as this is what planet catfish recomened

Thank you everyone for your help my stocking of the 280 will be:

1 black ghost knife
1 leopard bush fish
5-10 african butifly fish
5 cuckoo catfish
a medium to large group of roman nose anglefish

does this all look good
and thankyou for you help on this thred

Thank you everyone for your help my stocking of the 280 will be:

1 black ghost knife
1 leopard bush fish
5-10 african butifly fish
5 cuckoo catfish
a medium to large group of roman nose anglefish

does this all look good
and thankyou for you help on this thred
Cuckoo catfish are usually Synodontis multipunctatus and these come from Lake Tanganyika, which has very hard water (350-450ppm) with a high ph (8.5). They don't do well in soft water that the black ghost should have.

Cuckoo catfish are usually Synodontis multipunctatus and these come from Lake Tanganyika, which has very hard water (350-450ppm) with a high ph (8.5). They don't do well in soft water that the black ghost should have.
hmmm ok planet catfish may be a bit out dated
ok ill keep looking

would it be ok if i run some catfish speices past people to double check compatability

hmmm ok planet catfish may be a bit out dated
ok ill keep looking

Planet Catfish has three species when one enters "cuckoo," and all three occur in Lake Tanganika. You can trust Planet Catfish not to be in error on habitat, etc. If there is another fish some call "cuckoo" try to get the scientific name, then there is no doubt as to the species referred to.

And yes, I'm sure several members can provide data on most any species, though the scientific name really does help remove uncertainty as to which one. Some common names you have in the UK are not the ones "common" in NA much of the time.

I think I prefer Bagrichthys macracanthus and agamyxis pectinifrons would either work looking on planet catfish and doing reserch I think both these species are compatible

Anything with spines will (probably) scratch the bgk eventually.

I think I prefer Bagrichthys macracanthus and agamyxis pectinifrons would either work looking on planet catfish and doing reserch I think both these species are compatible

Members who have kept either of these will have more, but from what PC says I would think the Agamyxis pectinifrons a better choice.

Agamyxis would probably work, as they wedge themselves into the tiniest crevice they can find, so wouldn’t compete there, and they’re totally peaceful, but you literally would hardly ever see them.
Synodontis are territorial so wouldn’t ‘get along’ with a knifefish.

Agamyxis would probably work, as they wedge themselves into the tiniest crevice they can find, so wouldn’t compete there, and they’re totally peaceful, but you literally would hardly ever see them.
Synodontis are territorial so wouldn’t ‘get along’ with a knifefish.
great thanks for the info really helpful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back