Tank Maintinence

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
6,879
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
GB
well just spent the last hour or so doing my weekly tank maintinence which consists of gravel vaccing which is a pain getting in around the mangrove roots god those fish are messy bleeders then when thats done change 40 to 50 g of water syphoned out then re-filled with a 10 litre bucket then rinse the bath round to get all thje fish poo and food waste which didnt go down the plug hole and clen the front of the tank due to all the water marks i manage to make.

ok so remind me again why i love this hobby so much!!! :lol:
 
eeeeerrrrrmmmm....it`ll come to me in a min!!................... no! cant think of a thing :lol:

but you love it!!! :lol:
 
I use a 70litre plastic rubbish bin and fill that up the day before I do a water change. Then I use a gravel cleaner on a long hose and run the hose out the door onto the garden. I can drain the old tank water straight out the door. Then I use a small water pump and pump the water from the plastic rubbish bin into the tank.
You might need a couple of plastic bins for a big tank.

Alternatively you can run the tap water straight into the tank via a hose. Then double or even triple dose the tank with water conditioner. This method can be useful but also carries a risk of chlorine getting into the tank and affecting the fish. Many people use this method without any problems but occasionally there are problems with sudden unexplained deaths. Increasing aeration/ surface turbulence during this time, and for 24hours afterwards, will help overcome any free chlorine left in the water.
 
liking the water pump idea its not the removing the water thats a chore its re-filling and i dont like the idea of using hose then de-chloring much prefer to de-chlor 1st
 
I'm one of those mild risk-takers who uses a Python (although I just suck on the hose to get the siphon going actually, lol) and doses the tank with Prime before and after. Its always worked fine but I've always respected Colin_T for describing the ultimate way to go about it, especially if you had really valuable fish and had the storage space, etc.

I knew someone who did the Colin method who used one of those really large plastic trash cans that come complete with rolling wheels for janitorial use. It could hold enough water for a huge tank and the powerhead just sat down in the can with its hose attached, ready to go. The person loved it for eliminating any weight lifting or any extra trips.

On the other hand, a coiled up python hose, even a 50 foot one doesn't take up much room under the sink!

~~waterdrop~~
 
The kind of Python I was referring to is the kind that hooks to your sink and starts the siphon for you...I'm lazy like that. lol
 
How fast does a proper python syphon the water from the tank?
I'm using a shop bought gravel vac, connected to a length of hose run out to the garden, but the flow seems really slow, bearly enough to make the gravel vac work properly, but plenty to gradually drain the tank, and am looking at how I can speed it up!

Ideally some kind of inline pump if anyone knows of one? Cheapish too would be good!
 
Isn't that just a T-piece pipe? How does that make the water come out any faster? In fact surely it would be slower due to the added resistance?
 
No, it's a valve that hooks to your sink. The water running through the faucet is what creates the siphon. You then switch the valve to the opposite position and the water runs through the hose and into the aquarium.
 
Get the python. If you want a more diy method get a small pond pump & a garden hose. Hook the pump to the hose, toss it in the bucket. Vac into the bucket, plug in the pump to drain. You can hook a switch to the pump, float switched are great.

Hook the hose up to the faucet to fill. I do this with everything but small fry tanks, add dechlor on the fly or shortly after. The only reason I don't do fry tanks is it's hard to get good temperature control trickling water in.

I'm in the process of drilling most all of my tanks & installing overflows. These hook to a drain line, into a can with a pump & float switch. I just got my 40 gallon tanks tied in last night, 50% water change on 5 tanks took 1/2 hour, while I watched tv.

There is always an easier way, how much time & money you want to spend getting it there is the question.
 
Python vote from me too, very easy, clean and quick. Mark dont worry about dechloring as you re-fill, it wont hurt anything, if your really concerned, dechlor half before you start to re-fill, then half whilst re-filling. It will halve your maintenance times.
 
I know right.... dump the buckets then refill the buckets. I was so over that. So I went to the hardware store and found a brilliant way to make my life easy.

Our spare bathroom is just down the hall from my fish tank. I bought a adaptor for my bathroom faucet so I could attach a 25 Foot hose to it. Then I got a hose shutoff valve and a female hose end to connect my Vacuum end to. I put it all together with the new hose and all for $16.00. I already had the gravel vacuum.

So now all i have to do is run the hose to the bathtub (that we never use) suck out all the yuk water. I can clean my tank now with out stopping it is amazing. Cleaning the tank it no long a awful chore. Then when I am done taking the water out I attach the hose to the sink run the water through it to get the gunk out, and make sure the Temp is perfect, and the pressure is not too much. Then I take it over to the tank add my water treatment and fill it hands free. Life is so much better with this set up.

I can't believe it took me this long to rig this up. I am never going back to buckets again.


Here is a site on out to make your own "python" I did not use the waterbed fill and drain kit I think its a waste of water. You have to run the sink to make a syphon work. I just drain the water into the tub so I don't waste too much water.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-a...um-tools/73.asp

Why buy python when you can make one for WAY less.

Just make sure you get the right size female adaptor for your gravel vacuum to attach to. Mine was a tiny bit too big so I had to melt the end of the gravel vac to make the plastic soft so I could get it to fit over the thing. It worked in the end but was a pain.
 
liking the water pump idea its not the removing the water thats a chore its re-filling and i dont like the idea of using hose then de-chloring much prefer to de-chlor 1st

Put the dechlor in first, it will mix in the existing water waiting for you to add water with chlorine in - then fill from the hose.

From what has been said on here, the removal of chrlorine is pretty much instant. Nothing to worry about.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top