Tank Cleaning Questions.. Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My husband and I usually siphon all of our tanks once a week, one of our female platys has been giving birth for about 2 weeks now. 11 of these babies are safe in a breeder box but we know there are more fry in the tank. Is it okay to just do water changes and not siphon the tank for a while just to try to save babies? or if i siphoned and they ended up in the bucket, would they be alright??

I believe they'd be fine in the bucket, just check it closely before throwing the water out.

Ninjouzata said:
I believe they'd be fine in the bucket, just check it closely before throwing the water out.
So the actual siphoning them and the journey through the tube into the bucket wouldnt hurt the fry??

mrstwalker said:

So the actual siphoning them and the journey through the tube into the bucket wouldnt hurt the fry??

I'm not sure to be honest, I've never had fry :( But have seen people recommending to check your buckets when siphoning in tanks like that.
No mention of the actual getting sucked up bothering them, just to make sure to not throw them out.

Well, it might actually be a good thing to siphon them up, as you will be overrun with snails. Just be careful when siphoning.

I've syphoned up loads of fry over the years. It doesn't seem to do them any harm. If I'm changing water in fry tanks, I always pour the old water through a fish net or old sieve before I throw it out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back