Taking pictures of your fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dennis

Reaction score
Adeyc, I wish I saw your post earlier :D I took some pics yesterday and took the film for developing already. I'm using Nikon Lite Touch Zoom 120 ED AF with built-in flash. I switched it off and turned the room lights on. Now I'm not sure if there was enough light :what: Well, I'm picking them up in 10 minutes, will let ya know

You may have a few good pics. To freeze the motion of swimming fish(anything moving infact) you need a quick shutter speed. The more light on the subject the quicker the shutterspeed and vice versa. You can get some good motion effects with less light but the pic won't be as sharp. Try taking a couple of pics with the falsh,without, camera close to the tank and the camera at an angle to the tank, if your camera allows you to adjust the shutterspeed try changing that as well a couple of times. To some it may seem like a waste of film but you will see how different things and settings affect the quality of the pics, and you can then figure out what gives you the best reults.
If you've got a tripod it's best to use one as it will reduce camera shake. If you haven't got one try the arm of a chair or step ladders, with a small beanbag or cushion for the extra suport. you can always use a rolled up t-shirt etc.
Mostly take notes! it will help at some point in the future. As I use an S.L.R. camera I write down everything (f~stop,shutter speed, light used, exposure time,etc) then when I check the prints I can see what all the settings were for the best quality and use them again. I'll do some checking into the type of camera and see if I can come up with some specific tips for you.

Just came back from the foto shop, the pictures turned out terrible. In fact, lighting and colors are great but the picture itself isn't sharp...everything is blurred and smudged. I think it's shutter speed that caused the problem. And I can not change it, the camera is pre set and automatic. Will do some experiments to get the best out of my camera :angry:

What film speed are you using? I forgot to add the faster the film the better the results will be in low light conditions. you're camera will be able to read DX(filmspeed) coding up to a certain rating. (DX coding is the silver blocks on the film cartridge) Check you're manual to see what the max speed it will take is. Us Professionals( :D ) use Fuji 8oo. which is very vesatile and gives a good quality result.
P.S. the faster the film speed the more grainy the film will be ie a film speed od say 50 will give you a crystal clear pic but a film with a speed rated 3200 will be very grainy.

Try resting the camera on something to give extra support and try again.

I'll check the manual on the film speed and will try to find out more info on the close up shots. Hmm..need to dig into it as I'm 'point-and-shoot' type of guy in photography :D

For most cameras (non digital)

You must be at least 4 feet from the object in order to not be blurry :( I have a sweet camera but I can't take close up of it. You need either a macro lens or a digital camera.

William. Most modern compact cameras (non-digital, digital,35mm and aps) these days allow you to take close up pics if they are pre programmed. ie you push a button and you get a portrait prog, push it again you get an action prog etc. The minimal focus distance is usualy 4 feet or half a meter with fixed focus cameras and even closer with auto focus. Heres the specs etc from Nikon for Dennis' camersNikon lite touch . 2.5 feet macro facility but experiment and you'll get it a bit closer. the only prob is if the glass isn't clean/spotless the aoutofocus system will focus on the glass and not the fish.

Well tell me about my camera then please how to do it. I have a minolta 500 si Super. With 28-300mm zoom :p

Thanks

I've got both a digi camera and an SLR, I've tried the digi and it loves taking photos of glass - it does say in my manual that if I try to photograph through glass, I will only get glass.

I've some photos waiting to be sent off for developing, I took some photos with my livingroom lights off, and some of the fish seemed in focus but will have to wait and see.

I was thinking at some point in getting a close up lens for the SLR to take photos of flowers, and was wondering if that would work, I can't remember the lens size, I'll need to look up my wish list at Jessops :)

I think that I read some where that you could sandwich a fish between the tank front and a piece of perspex to get close up photos - remembering not to squash the fish :D

Duncan

:p Get a new camera :laugh:

Minolta cameras have the best light metering available. I used to use one years ago. K so as it's an S.L.R. you can set it to manual. Set the f~stop( the small numbers around the lens) to between f2.6 and f 11 probably around 5.6 would be best. As you've a zoom you could stand at the opposite end of the room and get a decent pic of the fish. You're only problem is going to be with lighting. Don't use the built in flash thier cra......rubbish unless you're a few feet away from the subject. Try and get yourself a deticated flash( I can give you makes and models if you want as well as prices).
So the solution will be to use an external light source.
You can pick up one or two small 500w flood light(those rectangular black ones) to youse for the lighting. remove the hood and position the lights above the tank pointing down.(Best to get a stand or something as these things get d##n hot and will melt softfurnishings) Problem solved. Use *oo speed film it's about the most versatile there is and you can change the speed to anything from 200 to 1600 with no noticable difference. Just remember to tell whoever developes the film that it's rated differently. (Doesn't matter for indoor flash photography)
As your camera is obsolete now the new model is a 505. Here's the link.Williams camera. Well almost, they've stopped making them. Almost as bad as computers you but something new then a couple of months later it's out of date

Start a new section for Photography and I'll answer any questions regarding photography tips. tricks, hardware how to etc more fully. I also teach photography but it'll cost £300 quid for a weeks course.(includes developing and printing.) £450 with a Student discount. :laugh:

:grin: K ade since you are on the game, sorry in the game and we have sidetracked onto cameras. What digicam would you reccomend around the £300 mark? :grin: Mac.

How did you know that was my part time job :laugh: Us bouncers are always at it ;)

Digitals I've only experience with the proffesional ones. I'm looking for a small digital myself at the mo' but cash wont allow it just now. There is the Fuji Finepix 2800 zoom at £299.90.It's a 2.0 megapixel CCD multimediea job that records videoclips  and sound and connects to your PC via USB.
Or you might be able to pic up a better second hand Camera like the olympus E20 Digital Camera for a bit more than you're wanting to spend.
If They've still got "The Glasgow photo factory" on Church street Take a look in there and ask them to check the other stores for second hand. If your not in an immedeate hurry to get one stick an advert in the "Courier"(not the P&J. They still owe me money). You'd be surprised what folks have got lying about the house they've forgotten about. remember to try out any cameras you're intersted in especialy second hand ones. If you've got time and don't mind bidding in on-line auctions try E-bay or the like you can get some good deals( check the sellers details for previous sales. then you know the things liable to be working. They'll come down heavy on crooks).
Best cameras are 2 megapixels and up. anything less doesnt have the reolution/quality.
If you find any you like the look of let me know and I'll check the model out for you.
Have a look here: Click then go to general purpose

Since we are all sharing, I have a Minolta maxxum 7000. A 35-70mm lens, 70-210mm, 50mm, and 28mm fisheye, Few flashes, a databack that does really exotic stuff, and a handfull of filters. Love taking pictures, but just don't seem to ever get film developed like I should :D
I need to get a Digital, but I am cheap and have been watching falling prices :)
It would settle my film developing troubles though.

Just develope the film yourself. ;) it's way cheaper and only takes 30 minutes to develope the film

How about a 'best' photo competition.

I have an absolutely fab one. :D Prepare to loose buddies :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back