Swing Arm Hydrometer Vs. Refractometer Vs. Floating Hydrometer

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Thought this might be an interesting thread since it comes up pretty frequently. I already posted a thread on specific gravity and salinity, so, what about measuring it? We all know that there are many levels that are acceptable to keep one's marine tank specific gravity at. Whatever you choose, stability is probably much more important than the actual number, unless that actual number falls into a range that may stress or actually harm your livestock.

There are basically four ways that most of us measure our specific gravity:
1) Swing arm hydrometer
2) Floating hydrometer
3) Refractometer
4) Salinity monitor (since very expensive, will focus on the above)

How do we judge them? Well, there are basically three things to keep in mind:
1) Precision: what level can we measure the s.g, or to how many digits
2) Accuracy: how close are we to the true value of what we are measuring
3) Reliability: if we take the measurement multiple times, will we come up with the same or close result on repetition

Swing Arm Hydrometer

This is probably the most commonly available method for measuring a tank's s.g. and most likely the type to be purchased by a newcomer to marine aquariums. This hydrometer functions by a moving swing arm that will float to a given level at a given specific gravity. The hydrometer must be immersed in the tank to fill with your sample. The s.g. is read at the pointer of the swing arm.

Hydrometer3.jpg

Advantages

1) Very inexpensive ($5-6)
2) Readily available
3) Easy to read

Disadvantages

1) Have to immerse the entire hydrometer in the tank to float the arm; requres 50-100ccs of SW; ?messy?
2) Bubbles can get stuck to the float arm rendering it inaccurate
3) Needs to be calibrated to ensure accuracy (usually against a refractometer)
4) Although precise, not always accurate or reliable: often can be off by 0.003-0.004
5) Can be affected by changes in temperature

Manufacturers include Instant Ocean, Deep Six and SeaTest.

Floating Glass Hydrometer

Many companies manufacture these and they can run from inexpensive to very expensive (for professional models). These hydrometers are placed in a sample of your tank water and then the s.g. gravity measurement is read off the side of the hydrometer at the meniscus. Tropic Marin manufactures this model:

tropich.jpg

hydrometer4.jpg

Advantages

1) Simple to use
2) Not as expensive as a refractometer, typically run $20-30

Disadvantages

1) Accurate, reliable, but not always precise
2) More expensive than a plastic hydrometer
3) The ideal way to measure is to put the hydrometer in a cylinder with your SW. Inconvenient. Otherwise, the bobbing float away method is used.
4) Can be affected by changes in temperature

Refractometer

A refractometer is usually a small hand held instrument that looks like a small telescope. It has a flattened,angled area on the end where you place 2-3 drops of your sample, drop a cover down and then hold the refractometer up to the light to get a reading.

Refractometer.jpg

The refractometer functions on the basis of refraction. Light striking a different density material will refract or bend. The light showing thru a refractometer will bend to differnt lines on the scale based on the density of the water (specific gravity is on the left, salinity on the right):

refractometer1027.jpg

Advantages

1) Fun to use
2) Precise, accurate, reliable
3) Easy to use
4) Small sample needed
5) Calibrated for differences in temperature
6) Easy to check calibration....use RO water to zero; adjusts with a small screw driver supplied

Disadvantages

More expensive, usually in the $100-$200 range (however, Drs. Foster and Smith carry a good one at about $40)

OK, then, which one should I buy?

It's a personal choice based on your wallet and the emphasis you place on the importance of maintaining the safety and stability of your marine tank. A refractometer is the preferred method for measuring your tank's specific gravity among most serious reefers. It is easy to use, but, more importantly, it is precise, accurate and reliable. Considering the cost of any marine tank setup, a $40 investment is probably invaluable when it comes to the well-being of your corals and livestock.

Hope this helped. SH

If I could have any of them, it would definately be a refractometer. However as you've said they can be expensive, so I choose a floating hydrometer. It's not too much of a pain to use, every week I fill a cylinderical cup up with my tank water and when the water gets to 25 degrees celcius(which is calibrated to) I take a measuring. But if I could choose any of them refractometer would be the way to go :thumbs:

Refractometer.
Probably one of the best bits of kit i have purchased (along with Ozone ;) )

I was amazed to know that a very well known wholesaler for marine fish here in the UK used to use about 60 floating hydrometers in their tanks. They would take readings from all of tese on a single sample of water and then take the average of all these readings to come up with their SG :crazy: This was until they switched over to a refractometer, they are accurate, easy to use and will work no matter what the temperature of the water is.

Just wanted to add something about the brands of swing-arms: SeaTest, the type pictured, has some design issues. As the plastic has aged on mine, the arm has a little more friction, which would be ok except that the hinge allows the arm to slip and stick. Mine often has to be jiggled/thumped because it gets stuck at a slight sideways angle on the way up. Sometimes it's obvious when that happens, sometime's its not. It's a very bad hinge design compared to something like Instant Ocean. Needless to say I don't use mine anymore.

I use an Underworld SeaTest Hrydrometer and it seems to work absolutely fine. You just have to fill it up sideways and slowly for it to read accurately. I also always wash it out in fresh water after using it so that you dont get a salt build up which affects the reading.

Ben

I use an Underworld SeaTest Hrydrometer and it seems to work absolutely fine. You just have to fill it up sideways and slowly for it to read accurately. I also always wash it out in fresh water after using it so that you dont get a salt build up which affects the reading.

Ben

I do the same thing with my deep-six, but am getting a refractometer soon.

I used a hydrometer in the beginning when setting up my tank. Once I added my first inhabitant (my stingray) it was worth the cost to upgrade to the refractometer. Now that I have well over $500 in livestock I consider the refractometer essential.

Ben

I've tried just about everything short of invasive action on the hinge in mine to keep it from sticking. The main problem is that it well used. It worked fine when it was new, but there is no way to fix the hinges so the sideways slop doesn't occur. Newer ones may have that problem fixed but the last time I saw one, it looked exactly the same.

I think i will have to looking into investing in a refractometer....
I guess if I do a reef tank down the line...it is a lot more unforgiving then just a fish only SW Tank...

My tongue, just stick it in and taste! :lol:

That Refractometer is pretty sweet! I have the floating I agree with some others, its easy.

Overtime, you'll realize the investment of time and MONEY into your reef tank and remember the old adage that you have to invest money to save money. IMO, not worth banking on errors in measuring s.g. when it comes to corals in your tank. SH

WOW..check this out :

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Salinity-Refractom...1QQcmdZViewItem

Go to Ebay..hit the advanced search link....use the dropdown box for UK and put in refractometer. SH

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a conductivity meter "Aqua Mate" from Daeyoon. It measures temperature and salinity in ppt or SG. It uses the measured temperature to automatically adjust the measurement to the temperature of 25°C.

It comes with replacement batteries and a little bottle of a salinity standard solution.

I use it at the moment for brackish water of SG 1.005 only and it matches the figures what it is expected from salt water mixing, i.e. 10 grams marine salt for every liter of freshwater to gain a salinity of SG 1.005.

[URL="http://www.digital-meters.com/Salinity_Meter_for_Marine_Aquarium__DSG10-p-16338.html"]http://www.digital-meters.com/Salinity_Met...10-p-16338.html[/URL]

Nice review steelhealr, very informative. One thing I'd add as a disadvantage for the refractometer is that they can be hard for people with poor eyesight to read. My mum can just about read mine but she really has a hard time and has to guess a little on the result because the scale/markings are so small (oh to be young with good eyesight!).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back