Swelling on my goldfish behind the gills

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi

My orange ryankin has got a swelling behind his gills on the right side of his body, it's been their the last couple of days.

I'm not really sure what it could be i tried netting him out of the tank for a closer look and feel the lump but he wriggled so much that i let him go.

Just wondered if it could be a cyst or tumor as it is underneath the skin. Doesn't seem to bother him too much but he does get dizzy and clumsy at times especially when he swims in front of the filter inlet!!!!

I rescued him from the pet shop because he had a slight deformaity of the mouth & no-one wanted him :sad: so i took him in and give him a happy home.

Has learnt to live with his disability bless him.

Any info would be great

It's difficult to give you an on-line diagnosis bigfish. Has the "lump" made any of the scales protrude? How far is it away from the fish's opurculum(gill cover) Can you see it? Does it look white and solid or soft and mushy? Does any other occupants have any ill symptoms. You say it had a deformed mouth, how so? Fish don't normally go dizzy in the sense that we know it. When they go dizzy, there is usually an external cause. ie flukes, worms,injury or swim bladder disease, viral/bacteral infection.
Where do yo keep your goldfish? Tank or Pond. If its a pond have you considered pesticide poisoning from nearby gardens and/or fields. There are unfortunately several factors and I can't tell you off the top of my head what your fish is afflicted with.

No scales are protruding (rule out drospy), (a few are missing though, put it down to the weather loach i have seen him suck on the fish!!!! strange)

It's about 2-3 cms back from the gill cover (actual gill cover is quite inflamed as you look from behind) do you think it could be a fluke infestation?

Lump looks like its underneath the skin (skin isnt broken)

It isnt white.

The fish was born with the deformantiy.

All other tank mates look ok.

They are kept in a tank and has 20% water change every week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back