Sweaty hands can harm fish?

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey have a question, during feeding time i had seen my hands were sweating and i had to submerge my hands in order to feed my fish the food which was on my sweaty palms. I was wondering if can human sweat harm fishes?

Sweat is a liquid made from 99% water and 1% salt and fat. Up to a quart of sweat evaporates each day. When your body becomes overheated, you sweat more. The evaporation of sweat from your skin cools your body down.
from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/anatomyvideos/000127.htm

I would be surprised if a bit of sweat on one's hand would have much effect on the water parameters.

Probably not. But like @Aqua67 you could have lotions or something on your hands. It's a good idea to wash your hands before and after putting them into your aquarium. That protects the fish and you.

Sweat is primarily water and minerals and won't harm fish unless you fill a tank with sweat and put fish in it. A little bit on your hands won't do anything to them.

Hey have a question, during feeding time i had seen my hands were sweating and i had to submerge my hands in order to feed my fish the food which was on my sweaty palms. I was wondering if can human sweat harm fishes?
Hello. As long as you don't have anything else on your hands, the fish will be fine. I always wash my hands before I put them into the tank water. Sweat will have a trace of salt, but not enough to foul the tank water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back