surpise fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey there everyone. As some of you may know i live in mexico (it is important to this thread) thus i have access to most goodeids in their natural habitat and a few months ago i went to a local lake to get some water lettuce and water hyacinth for my turtle pond and today as i was doing maintenace i saw a sand colored fish and catched it. It was able to survive by hiding between the rocks and behid the pre-filter and because it was camouflaged with the sand. After checking the list of native species i discovered it is a Goodea Atripinnis aka Tiro, i think i am going to keep it. I will post some pics in some time. :)
here is a page about the tiro: https://www.naturalista.mx/taxa/101771-Goodea-atripinnis

In other Mexican fish related news: I saw my first Ameca Splendens yesterday in local Maidenheads. Although our local water would suit them my tanks too small....and they seem to have a reputation for bad behaviour. When the lfs has a tag on their tank warning potential buyers that the fish are lively and need large boisterous tank mates and are gonna eat your plants I think I’m out.
I looked into them when researching fish and their near extinction in the wild would’ve helped purge my fish related guilt by allowing me to believe I was part of some rewinding project blah blah blah...but they’re too big and troublesome I think.

In other Mexican fish related news: I saw my first Ameca Splendens yesterday in local Maidenheads. Although our local water would suit them my tanks too small....and they seem to have a reputation for bad behaviour. When the lfs has a tag on their tank warning potential buyers that the fish are lively and need large boisterous tank mates and are gonna eat your plants I think I’m out.
I looked into them when researching fish and their near extinction in the wild would’ve helped purge my fish related guilt by allowing me to believe I was part of some rewinding project blah blah blah...but they’re too big and troublesome I think.
The lake where I found my Tiro is near the lake where the butterfly mexcalpique lives (presa de la vega). something like 10 km between lake and lake I was lucky to see them in the wild and let me tell you that they are big something like 6-10 cm. And their colors are beautiful, sadly they are in critical danger of extinction because a nearby sugar factory known as ingenio de tala for a period threw their chemical waste to the lake which, together with the introduction of tilapia and overfishing, have taken to the mexcalpique and other native goodeids on the verge of extinction, it's very sad, but don't worry about it when I buy my next aquarium I'm going to fill it with butterfly mexcalpiques and I'm going to reproduce them in your honor, also many local restaurants They have areas full of aquatic plants and free of predatory fish in which they breed the Mexcalpiques to release them to the lake and restore populations, so if everything goes well in a few years it should stop being in danger of extinction.

You need to catch the Tilapia out and remove them from the lake. Then start a petition to get the government to help stop things being dumped in the lake and to help remove the introduced species.

good, even tho they are native to my area i do not know how hard they are to care for r if they are agresive. Could you give me some info on their care?
reasonably peaceful and very easy to keep. males can be a little aggressive towards females especially at breeding time the colour of there fins can vary from a light orange to Black the colour of fins can go jet black when in breeding condition also if the fish becomes a little stressed, should be kept in a large tank with plenty of swimming space a very interesting species of goodeid to keep in a home aquarium

You need to catch the Tilapia out and remove them from the lake. Then start a petition to get the government to help stop things being dumped in the lake and to help remove the introduced species.
yeah. From what we know in the lake originally the ecosystem had tiros (like the one I found), largemouth bass, green sunfish, butterfly mexcalpiques obviously, golden tiros, and in total 25 species of native fish of which most are in danger of extinction and some like the golden tiro are extinct in the wild. The invasive species are channel catfish, tilapia, carp and mojarras, the only native fish that managed to adapt well was the bass thanks to its aggressiveness and territoriality. Before the lake was contaminated, it had 12 species of amphibians, among which is the moctezuma leopard frog, which is in danger of extinction and survived peacefully in the lagoon, 28 species of reptiles, 144 species of birds, 56 species of mammals and innumerable species of insects. once the quarantine is over I am going to go fishing to extract as many invasive species as I can and I am going to try how you said to prohibit trawl fishing and make the lake and its surroundings a protected natural area so that no ugly company can throw chemicals on it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back