Sun Coral Feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nick87

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all.

I recently got my first sun coral, It is happy enough in my 30g tank but i'm a little worried that the large daily feedings are going to mess with my water quality, i have heard of people removing the coral from the tank when feeding but i don't want to stress it out.

So what do you all think, will taking out of the tank everyday be too much fro it?

Thanks.

removing the corl is a 50/50 imo, seen a few people do it and it work, also heard of a few people losing the coral after a while as it never really settled inot their tank.

if i ever got one, id get a large turkey baster and feed each head or cut the tp 1/3rd off a bottle and attack some pipe. then place the bottle ofver the corals and poor the food down the pip to it.

make sure your skimmers well upto the job aswel

removing the corl is a 50/50 imo, seen a few people do it and it work, also heard of a few people losing the coral after a while as it never really settled inot their tank.

if i ever got one, id get a large turkey baster and feed each head or cut the tp 1/3rd off a bottle and attack some pipe. then place the bottle ofver the corals and poor the food down the pip to it.

make sure your skimmers well upto the job aswel

Cheers Ben, i am using the bottle and baster method at the moment, i have the mce 600 on order but i'm only using a tmc 120 nano skimmer at the moment.

Is it necessary to feed every polyp at every feeding? It would take a hell of a long time.

nice looking corals I;ve had one about 3 months but I wish I;d never got it if I;m being honest.

When I;ve tried taking it out the polyps don;t spread as much so instead I move it up and place on top of my powerhead as it fits quite well there , I can then try and feed every polyp. The only problem is that the blenny and shrimp go for the food.

Your supposed to feed every polyp at every time. I feed mine about 3 times a week

Infact I may even sell mine and get another fungia or something :good:

nice looking corals I;ve had one about 3 months but I wish I;d never got it if I;m being honest.

Can't say i am regretting it yet, and i plan on a few more :)

When I;ve tried taking it out the polyps don;t spread as much so instead I move it up and place on top of my powerhead as it fits quite well there , I can then try and feed every polyp. The only problem is that the blenny and shrimp go for the food.

Yeah my bloods and cleaner shrimp are a nightmare, i was considering taking them to my lfs in exchange for some more suns.

Your supposed to feed every polyp at every time. I feed mine about 3 times a week

I would agree but as i am feeding everyday i recon they would all get some at least every other day. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Infact I may even sell mine and get another fungia or something :good:

You don't have to feed everyday either. I have several non-photo. corals in my tank (One Pink Sun, One black sun, a dendro and a spiral coal) and all usually get fed every other day and seem to do just as well.

Oooo wish you were here simonas, I'd take it off you in a heartbeat!

You don't have to feed everyday either. I have several non-photo. corals in my tank (One Pink Sun, One black sun, a dendro and a spiral coal) and all usually get fed every other day and seem to do just as well.

Oooo wish you were here simonas, I'd take it off you in a heartbeat!

Yeah i will cut back on the feeding but was advised to feed everyday for while.

There is a nice pink sun at my lfs, that i was planning on getting but after some reading it appears it could have been dyed, it has pink body/stems but the polyps are orange?

Pink base ones are OK. It is the bright bright red ones that are dyed.

Tubastrea come in 4 base colors: yellow, orange, pink, black.
The yellow, orange and pink all have yellow polyps. The black has green polyps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back