Sumps?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK

A sump is good for a number of diffrent things.It adds water volume,You can do all your water changes,grow good algea that utalizes nitrates,put all your things in there like heater, skimmer,extra live sand,live rock.Things you wouldnt normaly like to see in your show tank.

But to answer your question.No you dont have to have a sump,But you definatly benifit from having one.

Hope this helped :rolleyes:

Yes thank you! :D

I ws concerned that I would have to study up on something else about my SW tank I will soon (hopefully) start setting up!

As for a protein skimmer what do you recommend that will not empty out my pocket? -_-

TIA

I don't know what is available in the states, but here are some of the best available in the uk.

http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/skimmers_1.php

the aquamedic biostar is a great one which includes a bio wheel.

there is also the redsea prism skimmer.

the best one is the deltec with the aquamedic being a close second.

this is because they both have what is known as a pin wheel or needle wheel instead of an impeller in the feed pump. this helps to break the air up into micro bubbles. although they are overated for your tank, they will allow you to feed moderately heavily without worrying about organics (I don't mean chuck loads of food in :p ).

these skimmers are worth every penny and when combined with some good quality live rock, then you have the basis for a sound filtration system. :)

Is this filter/skimmer an good one to start out with or would you rather I spend $150 on a protein Skimmer?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=3641

I just need something to start my cycle and then when the money is available get something better?

I am lost when it comes to filtration in a SW tank. Someone told me to get the Seaclone and 2 penguin 550's and I should be fine.

personally, a lot of people I have spoken to don't rate the seaclone very high. so I would avoid this one. I have never heard or seen the penguin so I can't comment.
why don't you wait and get the large skimmer first, then you don't waste any money. while the tank is maturing with or without live rock, you shouldn't have your your skimmer on. i would set-up the tank and leave it to mature for at least a month with no lights on as this will reduce the affect of an algae bloom. then, when you get the skimmer, leave it another week with the skimmer on and then add cleaners. hermits at first then on to things like starfish and shrimps.

I have a seaclone for a protein skimmer. I think that it's ok, I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's rather large for a small tank, though. It's also very noisy. It can get rather irritating after a while. :blink:

What size tank are you talking about? In any case, don't skimp on the skimmer. Or on lighting. Hold off on livestock if cash flow is the issue but get the best skimmer and lighting you possibly can.

Again ... read GL's articles at the top.

To save money check out the selling forum on reefcentral.com

AquaC Remora, Aquamedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi, these from what I can tell at two of the top rated skimmers ... but your tank size is important. Make sure you get what is appropriate for your size.

In any case, don't skimp on the skimmer

So true. A high quality skimmer is a must. Make sure it is the correct skimmer for your tank size.

I have had great results with the AquaC Remora and CPR bak-pak2. As previously stated by ostrow, the Turbo is also a really top notch skimmer.

You pretty much get what you pay for in skimmers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back