Suggestions new set up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
37B686B3-62A8-499B-A259-5F471286FC66.jpeg

Hi all. Just returned to the hobby (and the forum) after a few years break. Iā€™ve just ordered the tank in the image, 400litre, 4ft x 3ft. Arriving Monday, Iā€™m open to suggestions for stocking as I canā€™t decide. (If it helps from Birmingham Uk, soft water). Cheers.
Dougie.

Cool looking tank whatā€™s the capacity? Iā€™d go for fish that will appreciate the height like angels but go for one of the unusual species like leopoldi or red backs. Youā€™d have the potential for Altumns too if you are up for a challenge

Can you get a tank that is 2 foot high instead of 3ft high?

Tanks that are more than 2 foot high are made from thicker glass, which weighs a lot more and this means you need to have a concrete floor. Tall tanks are also a pain in the butt to clean. Most people struggle to clean the front, back & sides of a 4x2x2ft tank, let alone a tank that is 3ft high.
Tanks that are 2ft high are much more practical than tanks that are 3ft high.

-----------------
I would check the stand to make sure it can take the weight of the tank. Big tanks need strong stands and if the cabinet is made of particle board and doesn't have a solid wood or steel frame, I would be careful and make sure it has a 10 year guarantee not to rot or collapse under the weight.

-----------------
How wide is the tank?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Can you get a tank that is 2 foot high instead of 3ft high?

Tanks that are more than 2 foot high are made from thicker glass, which weighs a lot more and this means you need to have a concrete floor. Tall tanks are also a pain in the butt to clean. Most people struggle to clean the front, back & sides of a 4x2x2ft tank, let alone a tank that is 3ft high.
Tanks that are 2ft high are much more practical than tanks that are 3ft high.

-----------------
I would check the stand to make sure it can take the weight of the tank. Big tanks need strong stands and if the cabinet is made of particle board and doesn't have a solid wood or steel frame, I would be careful and make sure it has a 10 year guarantee not to rot or collapse under the weight.

-----------------
How wide is the tank?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
Hi, thanks for the replies , I have already bought it & itā€™s being delivered next Monday. My house has concrete floors so Iā€™m not concerned about that, your comment on the 10 year guarantee has me thinking though. I will check. As for hardness, Iā€™ve just had a look on my suppliers website & it says 3.31 degrees clark or 2.64 German (does that mean anything to you? Doesnā€™t to me). Iā€™m not 100% about the width if Iā€™m honest. I last saw it two weeks ago, if I remember correctly itā€™s 38cm. Comes with external sump, heaters, pumps etc.
Wills, I thought Angels, I guess itā€™s the obvious choice & would look great, but I thought Iā€™d put it out there & think about it. As I mentioned earlier Iā€™ve been out of the hobby for a couple of years.
cheers.

1dGH (German degree of hardness) = 17.9ppm, so 2.64dGh is about 47ppm, which is very soft water. Fish from the Amazon or from Asia would be fine. Tetras, barbs, rasboras, Corydoras catfish, angelfish, gouramis, Bettas, etc all come from soft water.

--------------------
re: the 10 year warranty on the stand. Most companies don't do warranties that long and it was an exaggeration of the warranty time. But you want to make sure the stand can hold the weight of the tank, and the tank and stand should both have a decent warranty. The last thing you want is 400 litres of water falling over or leaking out of the tank because the silicon didn't stick to the glass properly.

I have seen footage of tall tanks coming apart at the seams and it's not much fun. Tall tanks have more problems because they have more water pressure at the bottom, and it is harder for the tank maker to clean up the silicon at the bottom of the tanks.

--------------------
Tanks that are really tall (3 foot) and narrow (15 inches) wide are notoriously unstable and top heavy. So make sure nobody leans against it.

I know you have already bought the tank, but if there is any way you could swap it, I would look for a tank that is 4ft long x 2 ft wide x 2 ft high. It would be more stable and easier to work in, plus it has a much bigger surface area and that gives the fish more room. Fish swim left to right, not up and down.

As.for the stand strength...

If you are a bit handy, just grab up some 2x4's and build a support frame on the inside of the current stand. No more worry about strength, and.you keep that nice look you got there. If designed right, it won't get in the way of anything you do in there and you'll be able to land a.chopper on the thing if need be....

As.for the stand strength...

If you are a bit handy, just grab up some 2x4's and build a support frame on the inside of the current stand. No more worry about strength, and.you keep that nice look you got there. If designed right, it won't get in the way of anything you do in there and you'll be able to land a.chopper on the thing if need be....
Great idea thanks, Iā€™ll be able to do that, no problem, I can get the timber from work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back