April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MylesVinno

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today, my sucking catfish started going to the right hand side of the tank and swimming in large circles along the glass repeatedly, in a very fast paced manner. He has never done this before and is still doing it as I type 
no.gif

A possible reason that I think could have caused it was that today I gave my 5 guppies to someone else, so now the catfish is alone, could that cause this behaviour?
The tank is around 24 litres and its parameters are in-check. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 
fish.gif

Can you post the actual numbers from your tests please, including pH and hardness if you know them.

Do you know what species your catfish is? Any chance of a picture?

fluttermoth said:
Can you post the actual numbers from your tests please, including pH and hardness if you know them.

Do you know what species your catfish is? Any chance of a picture?
I do not have a test kit, I only have an ammonia alert and it says that the ammonia level is safe.

The species of the fish is Gyrinocheilus aymonieri.
Photo of it: http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l334/MylesVinno/Capture_zpskrhb1qd5.png 

Thanks

I would do an immediate large water change, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated, of course. Try and do at least 75% and see if he improves at all. Don't forget to switch your heater/filter off first!

In the longer term, you need a set of test kits of your own. No fishkeeper should be without a means of properly testing water at any time. Also, your tank is far, far too small. CAE can get to around a foot long.

fluttermoth said:
I would do an immediate large water change, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated, of course. Try and do at least 75% and see if he improves at all. Don't forget to switch your heater/filter off first!

In the longer term, you need a set of test kits of your own. No fishkeeper should be without a means of properly testing water at any time. Also, your tank is far, far too small. CAE can get to around a foot long.
If I do a 75% water change, there will only be about 8cm of depth in the water, is that ok?

As long as the fish has enough water to cover it, yes it's fine.

fluttermoth said:
As long as the fish has enough water to cover it, yes it's fine.
Ok thanks, I will do the water change now.

Great :)

Give the fish half an hour or so to settle, and post back if it's still circling :good:

fluttermoth said:
Great
smile.png

Give the fish half an hour or so to settle, and post back if it's still circling
good.gif
I have completed the water change and he seems to have calm down. I will let you know in the morning if his erratic behaviour has fully ceased. 
yes.gif

MylesVinno said:

Great
smile.png

Give the fish half an hour or so to settle, and post back if it's still circling
good.gif
I have completed the water change and he seems to have calm down. I will let you know in the morning if his erratic behaviour has fully ceased. 
yes.gif

This morning, he still seems to be doing it, but a little bit slower than before, he is also occasionally sitting on the bottom for a couple of seconds, swimming up to near the top along the glass, and then coming back down again.

It also turns out that we have a ph testing kit for the pool so I will test the water later today.

MylesVinno said:

Great
smile.png

good.gif
yes.gif

This morning, he still seems to be doing it, but a little bit slower than before, he is also occasionally sitting on the bottom for a couple of seconds, swimming up to near the top along the glass, and then coming back down again.

It also turns out that we have a ph testing kit for the pool so I will test the water later today.

He seems to have calmed down now as he isn't doing any of the strange movement patterns any more. Thanks for all the advice! 
winner.gif

I'm glad to hear he's acting more normally.

You really must, as a matter of urgency, get the fish a larger tank, and yourself some proper (liquid or tablet based) test kits; you need to be able to test for nitrite, nitrate and pH, as well as ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back