Substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I was looking for a substrate for my 60 gallon and found out my area does not carry anykind of pool filter sand but has play sand,tube sand(quikrete brand)and, all purpose sand also quikrete will any of these sand work for the tank?

Play sand works wonders! Byron suggested it to me a while back. He has it in all of his tanks, now I do too! Lol. Just one thing about cleaning, just put a few cups in a bucket and stir for a bit. Pour out water. Repeat until water is clear. Way easier cleaning it this way than in larger amounts.

Agree, you want the play sand, as it is the most highly refined of the commercial sands and thus not rough or sharp for fish. Quikrete is a reliable brand, i had a discussion with them on their refining of play sand.

Rinsing sand is a tedious business, but I have fund you don't need to go overboard. I generally do five or six rinses of a quantity of sand, about 3-5 cups at a time in a bucket, swishing around with your hand and carefully pouring out the dirty water (sand will easily pour out too and clog drains so be careful). The water will be clear enough in the bucket after this to see the sand, but still opaque/hazy a bit. But it is just dirt and won't hurt fish.

Once you have the sand rinsed and in the empty tank, put a few inches of water in ( tend to maybe half fill the tank) and do the aquascaping including all plants that are rooted in the substrate. Then drain out all the water right down to the sand. Then fill the tank carefully, using a bowl to avoid disturbing the sand. This reduces the haze considerably.

No pool filter sand in your area?!?! There are no pools in Oklahoma?
No matter, play sand will work just fine...as long as it's the type mentioned. I point this out because not all play sands are created equal. When Abbey was a youngster I got some play sand for her sandbox that was very fine and very white...okay for a sandbox, but as mentioned, you really don't want a very fine sand for the aquarium.

I tried play sand and pool filter sand, the main difference is you need to clean play sand. That can be a pain in the ass.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

I tried play sand and pool filter sand, the main difference is you need to clean play sand. That can be a pain in the ass.

I dunno where you got your pool filter sand but I had to wash the heck out of mine....unless you use it in the pool and can back flush!
Any/all sand will have 'fines' (tiny particles of sand that some confuse with dirt).

lol their are pools in Oklahoma just pool filter sand costs quite a bit to buy when compared to 3$ bag of play sand.

To your question in post #5, no, the "dirt" you rinse out will not affect water chemistry or anything else for that matter. Play sand is about as harmless a substrate as you can have.

As the pool filter sand has been brought in to the discussion, some of this is white and that is certainly not acceptable in a fish tank. AbbeysDad mentioned to me that pool filter sand in his area is buff, which would presumably be OK though I have not myself seen it. But pure white reflects light, and for fish this is extremely distressing.

Yes.That is why I don't want it I had white sand and diatom issues went through the roof.

Though di
So will a 50 lb pound bag cover the bttom of the 55?Or should I get two bags.It will be planted.

You could manage with one 50 lb bag, depending upon the plants; swords for example have very extensive root systems and need more depth than would stem plants or chain swords. I would get two bags; I used two for each of my 90g and 70g which are 4 feet in length but wider than your 55g. It is nice to have some left over, as you can use it to "top up" from time to time.

+1 on two bags. I'd 'wash' both and store any reserve in a 5g bucket once allowed to dry. As Byron mentioned, an amazon sword (and other rooted plants) need depth for good root growth. Even with the dwarf sag I have in the foreground, I see roots growing deep in my 4" depth.

Most reactions

Back