Substrate for 50G planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sauvagii

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Am in the process of getting supplies for a new 50G tropical tank. I'm wondering about substrates - a friend set up a planted tank a while back with (if i remember correctly) a layer of peat, with i think it was play sand on top, and that tank thrived. Theres no UGF going in this tank, I have filters sorted out already.

Is that a good combination of substrates, or will I run into problems with water chemistry etc? Any other suggestions, as I dont fancy gravel in this tank, I feel like something different.

Incidentally, Im probably going to keep a range of African fish in there, dwarf Cichlids, etc. So any advice on what would make suitable substrates would be most appreciated :)

Ta :)

i moved this topic for you to the plant section to get a much better response for you. looked like it was starting to get lost in chit chat.

maggie

Dwarf Cichlids do fine with live plants but any of the other cichlids will destroy your plants. Substraites for live plants are Laterite, Florite and some others but those are the ones I like best. Follow the directions on the container and put a layer of gravel on top and your set to go.

Most reactions

trending

Back