Strange film on top of water after aquasafe

k2snowboards88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When i add dechlorinator to my tap water, this white film gathers on the top of the water. When i add the water to the tank, it almost looks like theres powder in the water. Whenever i run hotwater in my house, the water looks foggy because its filled with tons of little bubbles. Today i discovered that if i wait for all the bubbles to leave the water before adding dechlorinator it doesn't produce the white film. I changed the water today waiting for the bubbles to disapear and my fish seem happier than ever.

What could that film be? Could the bubblese be chlorine gas (i hope thats not as bad as it sounds)that reacts with the dechlorinator and rises to the surface as some kind of film?

Any thoughts?

you could try using only cold water in changes - heat some up in a kettle/pan to get the temp right...

aj xx

Where are you from it doesnt say????

If your UK based then i wouldnt worry about it. I had exactly the same thing happen in my tank when i first set it up.

Apparantly the water board in certain areas are playing with their chemistry sets to try battle the limescale building up in all the pipes.

This means that when you add the water to the tank and it warms up, the lime actually seperates creating a White film layer, almost like you have sprinkled talcum power on the tanks surface.

Do what i did. Use your net and skim the surface slowly, if you go to fast it gathers and sinks. Or lay a piece of paper towel over the surface this will soak up the top layer of water and then gather it up and bin it.

Also if you can get your filter to adgitae the surface it will help dispers it.

But dont worry you wont have to do this everytime you change water. It only happened a few times to me, and now i havent had it in weeks.

Hope this helps.

I live in upstate New York USA. That could be what this is. All i have to do is wait til the bubbles are out of the water before adding dechlorinator. Theres never any film whatsoever with this method. Thanks

No expert but I think the chlorine will kill any bacteria that is colonising your filter, thats why your tank may not be cycling. Add the dechlorinator to the water either b4 or when you add it to the tank (reading your post it sounds like you are adding water to your tank, waiting for the bubbles to go, then adding dechlorinator if not sorry).

Jon

Sorry for not being too clear. I've always been adding dechlorinator to the bucket before adding the water to the tank. The difference is that i used to add the dechlorinator right after getting the water from the tap. That created the film on top of the water (which i beleive is some form of concentrated chlorine). Now i've learned that by waiting for the bubbles to leave the water in the bucket before adding dechlorinator, i can avoid this film. I'm still and always have been dechlorinating the water before adding it to the aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back