Stocking Suggestions For A 75 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crappy pictures today, it's all cloudy.

Anyway last night I put a third coat on half the piece just to see what it looked like.

And came up with this

04042012_001_.jpg

04042012.jpg

And I think its getting pretty close to matching what the wife wants, although I'm tempted to throw a 4th coat over it.

A lot of coats I must admit, but it seems to go on quite thinly when using a cloth. However I prefer to how it does with the brush.

Gotta get this sorted out over the next few nights, as I've a 4 day weekend coming up, and I want to smash out some actual staining on the stand.

Even crappier photos today, not only cloudy outside, but actually raining. Good for the garden though. Had to take them insdie.

Okay here's the results of the 4th coat

(put it across everything, so now its a comparison between 3 and 4 coats)

05042012.jpg

05042012_001_.jpg

05042012_003_.jpg

And the good news is my wife is happy with the colour, and I've got the go ahead to go full scale this weekend and start staining the real thing!

Finally can get past these test updates.

4 day weekend this weekend, so its a great chance to smash out heaps of work.

Just read this whole thread, your build is impressive. Your patience is also impressive and will pay off I'm sure!! :good: :good: :good:

Thanks FishFanatic04, its been fun.

Well the staining was a interesting learning process.

I stuffed the first coat slightly. I should have thinned it, and I didn't. And I should have wiped off the excess better. Dried a bit fast for what I was doing I think, hot day in the shed.

So the first coat ended up a little patchy, but a bunch of sanding and additional coats its come up nicely to something I am happy with. Ended up having my wife follow me with a cloth fixing up things which worked much better. Should have thought of that for the first coat. Ah well, live and learn.

We are happy with the current colour (3 coats), decided not to go for any more as the grain would be lost too much.

All I have to do now, is put a coat of clean finish on, and its all done!

So here are the pics.

After putting putty in the nail holes and sanding back

Really happy with how the putty cleaned up the corners and so on too, looks even more nicely joined.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

After first coat of stain
You can see where it's a bit uneven in places.
s4.jpg

s5.jpg

After third coat of stain
Bit late at night when I took these photos, I'll get some better ones in nicer light this weekend when I do the final clear coat.
s6.jpg

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

s10.jpg

So all in all I am very happy. So final clear coat this weekend, and then door hanging!

Your stand deserves a brand new tank to be honest ;)

Prob with buying the tank before I really knew much about the hobby I guess.

In hindsite I'd definently have gotten a bigger/wider/taller ones.

But ah well, too late now and I'll never get it past the wife to change it now.

That said, the its pretty good for where it's going to go along a wall in the main room. Maybe the next house I'll make sure there's a good spot to put a bigger one in.

Thanks applecart

Looks good for the weekend, should be able to have time to both the clear coat, and hang the doors hopefully.

Well after six weekends work, six months of planning.

THE STAND IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went well over the weekend, the clear coat went on nicely. Although the clear coat is WELL more harder to with fume wise.

The stain coats were fairly mild, so I first put some on the inside of the stand, and then went for a drink as I was all lightheaded from the fumes from just that.

Ended up doing the rest of the stand while wearing a filter respirator mask (lots of time for Luke, I am you're father darth vader jokes).

The only thing I wasn't happy with was the hinges I had for the flap on the hood, they were bending like butter. So I stopped messing around with them before we messed it all up.

I'll be getting some different ones to put on later.

But the cabinet is all sweet, the doors went on nicely. managed to get them even, and the handles are looking good.

bit of a surprise, my wife presented me with a little metal plaque with my name and year on it to stick onto it. Which I thought was a nice touch of her. Nice surprise.

So now the plan is to leave the stand to air out for a while until the smell has gone down as its still a bit whiffy. not letting it into the house until its not smelly as we have a 6 month old child in the house that doesn't need that. (nor do we for that matter)

So now, photos!

First bunch are with my crappy phone, but my wife snapped a good one at the end with her iphone.

150420121.jpg

15042012_008_.jpg

15042012_007_.jpg

15042012_006_.jpg

15042012_005_.jpg

15042012_004_.jpg

15042012_003_.jpg

15042012_002_.jpg

15042012_001_.jpg

15042012.jpg

563706_10150807434707386_627397385_11664140_1808673231_n.jpg

Really nice :good: The doors look great, would never guess it was a diy stand.

Thanks FishFanatic04, I must admit I am extremely happy with how the doors worked out given that was something which was bugging me for so long to come up with a plan for.

Couldn't be happier with how that went, very glad I didn't blow money on trying to buy something that prob wouldn't have matched anyway.

Been waiting for my electrician friend to come around and put a power point in for me as the wall where I want to put the tank doesn't have one. Whoever built my house was a bit stingy on the old power points, they really could have put a few more in.

And as good as it is having a friend who is an electrician who can do work for you like this it does mean I have to wait for him to have free time to come do it.

But I've got a date now, Saturday Morning to install the power point so that's that nailed down.

Picked up a few of the remaining equipment too. I got an Hydor Eth 300 W Inline heater and have ordered myself a 6 foot Dalbarb light. No sign of it yet though, I've sent Dalbarb an email to chase up on it. Hopefully doesn't take too long

The smell seems to have worn off, so that's good. I just now need to find the time to bring it back from my inlaws farm, which while not too far will take a little organising. Obviously can't lift the thing by myself :)

Got to get myself some sand and wood and so on together as well at some point.

I've a wedding to go to this weekend, so I'm not a 100% sure of how much I'm likely to get sorted this weekend.

Might aim at having it already to be setup the weekend after, assuming the lights turn up.

Man I am PISSED OFF today

I emailed Dalbarb about when the light would be arriving and I get this

Dear Steve,

We are the new owners of Dalbarb and unfortunately the emails from the online ordering system were not previously coming through correctly.

This has now been rectified and I have received your order. We will need to make the light as we do not have any 183cm lights in stock. This will only take a 1-2 days.

I will contact the freight company in the morning and I will advise you on the approximate delivery date.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in your order.

I will contact you again tomorrow.

Regards

Sharon Salt
Dalbarb
0413 278702

Which okay is fair enough, and then I get this

Good Morning Steve,

I have contacted the freight company this morning and as you are in Ellenbrook WA they will be charging me quite a considerable amount to get the light to you. They have quoted me approx $240.00 !

I understand the website has only charged you $15.00 for delivery, however we are not able to absorb the balance of the freight charge considering it is more than what the item is worth.

I do apologise however I will have no choice but to refund the light to your account today.

Please contact me should you have any concerns.

Regards

Sharon Salt

Not my fault if they have their website set up incorrectly, it clearly stated they offer shipping on lighting products, and they charged me a shipping price.

Are they allowed to flip and reject orders if they decide the profit margin isn't too their liking?

Not happy.

Right the refund is through, so stuff them.

I'll either get the Heto off AoE or a hai-yang from Aquatix.

Just gonna do a bit more research first.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back