Stocking Suggestions For A 75 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

At full size I guess a sev would have a little bit of a squeeze to turn around.

Close enough to be a problem you think?

Using my own judgement, the tank definitely has the length for clown loaches, but not the width. I'd steer clear, tbh.

I like the severum idea, other biggish fish that could fit in the tank would be Jack Dempseys, Green Terrors, Firemouths, convicts, Honduran Red Points, T-Bar cichlids, Blue Acaras, there's a whole lot of different cichlids out there. Oscars are a maybe, once again, the width is a little worrying.

Those are all totally random off the top of my head suggestions, and throwing them all together would likely end badly as they all have different temperaments and needs.

As far as bottom feeders go, some more off the top of my head suggestions, raphael catfishes, pictus catfishes, synodontis catfishes, and maybe some smaller eels may work. I don't know a whole lot about loaches, though.

Knife fish, I'm thinking the only common species would be the african knife, as other more common species such as clown knives and black ghost knives get gigantic and clown knives get particularly aggressive, I've heard they have to be kept alone. Once again, good length, bad width.
Severums get just as long as clown loaches....they may not be suitable either if a clown loach is not.
But width wise clown loaches are much bulkier, not to mention they need to be in groups of 6 or more.

You also may be right in the width not being quite suitable for severums, come to think of it. 55 gallon standard tanks are 4 feet long and 12 inches wide, which would not be suitable, but 75 gallon standard tanks which is 4 feet long and 21 (or is it 18?) inches wide is a good size for them. 14 would be a bit of a squeeze for a foot long fish.

Hmmmm, food for thought.

Okay good thing we are thinking about this then.

Back to the drawing board for stock then I guess.

Would I be okay to say fishes that would have a max length of 10in would be enough turning room, or do we need to go smaller again?

Hmmmm, food for thought.

Okay good thing we are thinking about this then.

Back to the drawing board for stock then I guess.

Would I be okay to say fishes that would have a max length of 10in would be enough turning room, or do we need to go smaller again?
People keep 10 inch fish in 55 gallons all the time, and those have 1-2 inches less width, I think that's a good max size.

Although they do say severums are unlikely reach the "maximum size" in an aquarium. So maybe they aren't off the table. Hmm gonna have to think about this.

I could do a Mbuna tank perhaps as another option.

Man, too many options, can't choose.

:p

My tank will mature around my loaches, although they only venture out around 9:30 at night and spend most of the day asleep they are still my favourite fish and its ace when they come out to play. Little gits do like taking holes out of my plant leaves though! But i dont expect it to stay planted forever, they will grow and destroy it in time :)

You could quite easily chuck a dozen in that tank, but i would make sure they are one of the last fish you add as they are very prone to ick and need a well established tank. They are one of the first fish to show signs of illness if something isnt quite right with the water. I think i waited a good 3 months before they got added to my tank, but the filter media was at least a year old too.

My tank will mature around my loaches, although they only venture out around 9:30 at night and spend most of the day asleep they are still my favourite fish and its ace when they come out to play. Little gits do like taking holes out of my plant leaves though! But i dont expect it to stay planted forever, they will grow and destroy it in time :)

You could quite easily chuck a dozen in that tank, but i would make sure they are one of the last fish you add as they are very prone to ick and need a well established tank. They are one of the first fish to show signs of illness if something isnt quite right with the water. I think i waited a good 3 months before they got added to my tank, but the filter media was at least a year old too.

Well I like the sound of that very much.

When the time comes to start putting fish in, I'll be seeding the new filters with some media from my established tank, so should be able to kick start things nicely.

I've been trying to think of decent tank makes for Clown Loaches,

I hear Tiger Barbs might go well?

Tiger barbs are excellent, but those alone will restrict your stocking to "not much" as they are nippy little gits, no matter how big a group of them you have. I ended up returning my group of 17 to my lfs as they started to get too agressive with my corys. If i were you , i wouldnt go there.

With my 10 clowns, i have loads of corydora catfish, bolivian rams, a school of 25 harlequin rasbora, a school of 16 rummynose tetra, some small rubbernose plecs and 10 Kuhli loaches. My tank is well stocked and i have two Tetratec EX1200's running, so lots of filtration.

Tiger barbs are excellent, but those alone will restrict your stocking to "not much" as they are nippy little gits, no matter how big a group of them you have. I ended up returning my group of 17 to my lfs as they started to get too agressive with my corys. If i were you , i wouldnt go there.

With my 10 clowns, i have loads of corydora catfish, bolivian rams, a school of 25 harlequin rasbora, a school of 16 rummynose tetra, some small rubbernose plecs and 10 Kuhli loaches. My tank is well stocked and i have two Tetratec EX1200's running, so lots of filtration.

Hmmm, that's good advice seeing as you've done the same.

I like the Harlequin idea, they are pretty striking.

I'll do a bit of looking around see what else strikes my fancy. I really like my Zebra Danios in my smaller tank, maybe a whole bunch of Longfins might be nice..... or maybe some Giants.

Now about aquascaping, flow control etc.

Clowns like rivers right? Any particular way I should be setting up intakes/outakes, rocks and wood and so on?

I would definitely stay away from clowns unless you plan to upgrade. They could get to be as wide as the tank, and they're all-around big, and they need groups. I think the minimum would be more like a 75 standard. With those dimensions, I would just go for a smaller loach species.

If the fish can barely turn around, the tank's too small! Since clown loaches have a maximum size of 16" long, they shouldn't be kept in a tank 14" wide. I would think this would be rather obvious. It just isn't enough space, although water volume is fine with enough filtration. Please, either upgrade the tank or just don't get clown loaches.

Clowns wont reach 16" in a short space of time, they grow extrememly slowly after the first couple of years and a whole lot of stuff can happen in the 10 years or more it will take for these fish to reach a mature size. Even my Local MA have clowns in a 8x4x4 tank, aged around 7 years and they are still only 7/8 inches. yes, i agree in years to come they will need more, but for now, the tank is perfectly fine.

I know i would much rather see a dozen clowns in this tank than i would see them scattered around half a dozen idiots with 90 litre tanks thinking they are happy in their new home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back