Stocking Suggestions For A 75 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alright, that's true. They are very slow growing - I just meant upgrade eventually. As long as he plans to do it at some point before they reach their full size, I don't see an issue with it. A 75 is loads better than what some people keep fish in... I've seen pictures where people keep 2 guppies, a betta, and 2 goldfish in a single bowl that's only 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon. It makes me shudder.

Oh I fully don't expect this to be the "last tank I own", so yes almost guaranteed to upgrade eventually.

Ten years is a long time (assuming I don't kill them in the mean time of course).

Bound to want more by then :)

I don't think there would be too many serious fish hobbiests on here who are still using the same size tank they started off with.

Well the SunSuns turned up this morning at work, I'll have to wait until lunch to open the box though :)

Sunsuns seem pretty good, haven't hooked them up or anything, still under my desk. But they seem the business.

Okay to the question of the day.

Now I'm nearly finished the design phase for my stand build. However there's one thing I'm not sure about.

Now the tank I'm going to be using, is a glass aquarium (see page 1 for photo)

That does NOT have any trim around the bottom, its all just glass.

Now should the bottom of this tank be just supported around the perimeter like I was intending.

Or does it need a full flat support over the whole thing on the top of the stand?

I keep seeing conflicting ideas on the subject.

I kinda want to get that bit right.

I would chuck a sheet of ply on the top, then 10mm of poly or some carpet, then the tank. I used carpet on my 5 footer. Dont put the tank straight onto wood, even if you think its perfectly flat and you've brushed it off.

Yeah that's pretty much the conclusion I was thinking too Tizer.

So I had a look through the sunsuns which come prefilled with some media.

And they have the following

Top level (thin filter pad)
1.jpg

Second level (thin filter pad + ceramic noodles)
2.jpg

Third level (thin filter pad + some bio balls)
3.jpg

Fourth level (thin filter pad + activated charcoal)
4.jpg

So I'm thinking there must be some more media I could use, and rearrange etc than this for sure. What do you guys think?

i would make the 2nd level the bottom level so the water hits if first and gets pushed around the ceramic media, then replace the carbon / charcoal as you call it, bags with more ceramic noodles, so its the same as the bottom, then the bio ball tray followed by the last tray with the sponges in it then on the very top of that, you can put a polishing pad if you want one.

this leaves you the activated carbon in a cupboard ready to use one day IF you ever need to remove medication after treating your fish, from the water column.

Well I finally got around to finding some time to get started on the Stand.

Build is going well so far, I got the frame all done.

Now to move onto skinning and trimming next weekend hopefully.

This is the Plan I've come up with

tank-1.gif

And here's where I got to this weekend

10022012_001_.jpg

10022012_004_.jpg

10022012_007_.jpg

10022012_005_.jpg

Exciting to be finally actually building after so much planning for the last couple months.

Although they do say severums are unlikely reach the "maximum size" in an aquarium. So maybe they aren't off the table. Hmm gonna have to think about this.

I could do a Mbuna tank perhaps as another option.

Man, too many options, can't choose.

:p

This is a little off-topic, but I don't believe that tank is meant for fish. I've seen a tank similar to that at the Reptiles & Amphibians store housing a snake. That would probably explain the unusual dimensions.

Yeah that could make sense Cam.

*shrugs*

Ah well, it is what it is I guess.

Should be able to find some time this weekend to work on the stand again.

I hope to get all the main construction done, and be ready for staining.

That and I still need to work out what I'm gonna do about doors

:p

Yup, definitely going to be able to do some more work on it, I've cleared some time.

Going to timber merchant today at lunch to grab a few more pieces I need

Can't wait to see how this next bit turns otu

Got a good long days work in on Sunday. Coming along very nicely.

Didn't get totally finished, but got the skin work done, and the shelf.

Just the trim work to do next weekend hopefully, and then onto staining :)

Still thinking about doors, whether to make them, or see if I can buy some etc.

10022012_007_-1.jpg

23022012_001_.jpg

23022012_002_.jpg

23022012_003_.jpg

23022012_004_.jpg

23022012_005_.jpg

23022012_006_.jpg

Long weekend this weekend, so I'm hoping to get all the structural stuff done at the very least.

Been racking my brain all day about a door.

And I think I've come up with a plan.

Not feeling comfortable with making a frame and panel door, I think I'm doing to make a slab door, and put some moulding on the front of it to give it a bit of depth illusion, maybe route the outside edge of it to look pretty.

I think that will work, guess we will see.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back