Stocking Ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KyGuy'sZoo!

Reaction score
So I am new and I was wondering if there are any stocking ideas for a pond that I'm building once we get the new house built. It would be 250 gallons and warm water, I was thinking a jaguar cichlid and lima shovelnose catfish.

How big is the pond (dimensions, length x width x height)

Do you live in a warm climate?

Will there be power near the pond for a filter?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

That's a small pond. Can you get a bigger one, perhaps 8ft long x 4ft wide x 2ft or more high?

The managuense will take over a 4x4x2 pond for itself and kill anything else you add.

Well, I am barely convincing my parents as it is. Are there any suggestions for what I should do otherwise? What about the lima catfish

What is the GH, KH and pH of the water supply?

If it's soft, go for smaller south American cichlids like Apistogrammas or blue acaras and Corydoras. Maybe Acarichthys heckelii

If you have hard water, go African Rift Lake cichlids and Synodontis multipunctatus or S. petricola catfish.

This isn't tropical but a yellow perch
images (86).jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back