Jaguar potential tankmates

Steve2717

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 13, 2022
Messages
91
Reaction score
29
Points
18
Location
UK
1000040305.webp
1000038186.webp
1000036045.webp
I currently have a 6-7inch jaguar in a 150gallon along with a 11-12inch common pleco. I was wondering if i could get away with any tank mates for the jaguar or if im best leaving him solo in there? I was thinking about maybe a starry night cichlid or texas cichlid. Nothing planned, just toying with ideas
 
I think you have the cichlid part covered for your tank… perhaps a few larger silver dollars, or a larger catfish, or a larger top fish like an arrowanna but, but that would be an expensive experiment, as the fish would have to be larger , to go in with your cichlid… I expect that is going to end up as pretty much a specimen tank???
 
He's already managed to sink a battleship! Although for a jaguar Cichlid, that's to be expected.

Personally, I would keep him alone. It's a limiting species you don't go for unless you're prepared to give a lot of space to a lot of aggressive personality. The issue is never bioload in a tank that size with a jaguar - it's social load.

He doesn't just have aggressive ways - he has teeth.
 
With the size he can become and his behavior, at least a sturdy other fish should be in there. But I don't know how big he already is and how big the tank is. Keeping a decent open swimming space would be nice. Try to consider a new fish also by max size.
 
With the size he can become and his behavior, at least a sturdy other fish should be in there. But I don't know how big he already is and how big the tank is. Keeping a decent open swimming space would be nice. Try to consider a new fish also by max size.
He is 6-7inches at the moment. The tank is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft. Yes i was looking at ones that will get to similar size so wont be easily bullied but maybe a tier down in aggressiveness so wont attempt a coup for the top spot
 
He's already managed to sink a battleship! Although for a jaguar Cichlid, that's to be expected.

Personally, I would keep him alone. It's a limiting species you don't go for unless you're prepared to give a lot of space to a lot of aggressive personality. The issue is never bioload in a tank that size with a jaguar - it's social load.

He doesn't just have aggressive ways - he has teeth.
Yeas im prepared to leave him solo if thats what the general feedback i get is, just seeing what peoples thoughts are and if i could or not
 
I think you have the cichlid part covered for your tank… perhaps a few larger silver dollars, or a larger catfish, or a larger top fish like an arrowanna but, but that would be an expensive experiment, as the fish would have to be larger , to go in with your cichlid… I expect that is going to end up as pretty much a specimen tank???
I have a 11/12inch common pleco in there at the moment, i didnt want to have territorial issues with catfish instead. Was only thinking about mid/top waters
 
As you know, he's aggressive. And a predator. You technically can have other larger fish with him, but I've always disliked those tanks as a fish watcher. The other fish become very aware of who they're in with, and always have an eye out for when they'll accidentally cross the jaguar's unpredictable line. They may be big enough and tough enough to survive small attacks, but should they have to? In the wild, they would stay far enough away from fish like the jaguar. We don't give them that option in a tank that size, and short of flooding the house...

I had a friend who was very into large robust rowdy Central/North American Cichlids, and his basement featured a bunch of huge tanks with one fish in each. It wasn't my idea of a dynamic fishroom, but it was the price of keeping the species he was drawn to. The old relaxing fishroom dream was shot there = those fish looked like they wanted to grow arms and legs so they could jump out and beat you up.
 
so, anything working is basically an experiment, potentially an expensive one, as the fish will need to of the same size or larger… that has been a problem for me, even with mellower fish, is mostly what is generally available are always tiny versions of fish that may be ok, as tank mates, and can’t handle the current pressure, as they are too small…

if you are determined a specialty seller , like Monster Fish, or Preditory Fins sells adult fish and turn ins, that have grown too large…
 
so, anything working is basically an experiment, potentially an expensive one, as the fish will need to of the same size or larger… that has been a problem for me, even with mellower fish, is mostly what is generally available are always tiny versions of fish that may be ok, as tank mates, and can’t handle the current pressure, as they are too small…

if you are determined a specialty seller , like Monster Fish, or Preditory Fins sells adult fish and turn ins, that have grown too large…
I have an tank with juvenile africans in, i was thinking if i was going to add a fish in with the jag, i would attempt to find a larger specimin or put it in with the africans to grow first. If the aggression risk is too high even if i get one similar size then i will just keep him solo. This thread is more askimg is it worth the risk or just keep the current status quo
 
I’ve see videos of large tanks, with multiple predators ( they look cool )

Goohles recommendations…
IMG_9934.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top