Stocking Ideas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Any ideas of what to stock a 20-gallon tank with?

Heres me thoughts:
  • The Eye Catcher: 1 pair of Dwarf Pufferfish
  • The Swarm: 8-12 Rasboras
  • Additional stocking: 10-15 ramhorn snails or cherry shrimp

Dwarf puffers do not make good community fish, so they should be in a group on their own (no rasboras), or left out. We can suggest suitable fish, but knowing the parameters (GH and pH especially) will help. Many of the smallish "nano" type fish suited to smaller tanks will have more demanding requirements respecting parameters.

my PH is 7.2
according to my water company the highest water hardness detected is 265 ppm
the range is 82-265

Is this a 20 long or a 20 tall ? A pair of apistogramma borelli would work in either a 20 long or 20 high but if a 20 long there are more options.

Is this a 20 long or a 20 tall ? A pair of apistogramma borelli would work in either a 20 long or 20 high but if a 20 long there are more options.
its a 20 gallons tall. With a pair of Apistogramma Borelli would it just be those 2, or some other smaller fish as well?

my PH is 7.2
according to my water company the highest water hardness detected is 265 ppm
the range is 82-265

If the GH is close to 265 ppm (= 14 dH) that is hard water. It is less likely that your direct water varies from 82 to 245, but more likely the difference is due to locale within the region. You should pin this down, as many soft water fish will find hard water difficult.

If the GH is close to 265 ppm (= 14 dH) that is hard water. It is less likely that your direct water varies from 82 to 245, but more likely the difference is due to locale within the region. You should pin this down, as many soft water fish will find hard water difficult.
ill buy a test kit right now

Pea puffers would do better in a species only tank, they are awful fin nippers and will pick your snails shells clean of any living thing! You have a large GH range, you should test it to find the exact levels of what’s coming out of your faucet. If it is on the softer side of that, you could consider Pygmy cories and something small like a trio of honey gourami. If it is on the harder end of that range, you could keep some guppies OR do a species only tank of pea puffers. Could probably have 5 or so in a 20 gallon

Pea puffers would do better in a species only tank, they are awful fin nippers and will pick your snails shells clean of any living thing! You have a large GH range, you should test it to find the exact levels of what’s coming out of your faucet. If it is on the softer side of that, you could consider Pygmy cories and something small like a trio of honey gourami. If it is on the harder end of that range, you could keep some guppies OR do a species only tank of pea puffers. Could probably have 5 or so in a 20 gallon
im going to buy a test kit asap

its a 20 gallons tall. With a pair of Apistogramma Borelli would it just be those 2, or some other smaller fish as well?
You can have a small surface fish - i like kubotai rasbora but others work as well as guppies. Most rasbora prefer soft water the borelli are a bit flexible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back