Stocking For 12 Gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I'm moving my betta out of my 12 gallon tank and into a 5 gallon (will hopefully upgrade down the line)

My 12 gallon, apart from the betta who will move out soon, has 9 Pygmy corydoras.

My question is, how many more of the Pygmy could I add when the betta is gone?
Second question, if I leave the 9 Pygmy, what other species can I put in with them and how many? And what about red cherry shrimp?

Sorry, I know that was a lot of questions!

Cherry shrimp are a good addition to a nano tank, and don't really add to the bioload in a significant way.

Really, I think you should only really add one, maybe two, more cories.

You could add one bamboo shrimp. They are super cool lookin and will help keep the tank clean, just make sure your filter can supprt all those fish.

Lock man - at one stage I had 11 cories and the betta fish. I don't know much about stocking but I thought without the bioload of the betta I could a couple more cories?

Thanks for the tip on the bamboo shrimp, never heard of them before. Sounds interesting!

Yeah, bamboo shrimp are wicked cool. They get to be about 4 inches long. Heres a picture i found on google.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 33
Dmbandstf - That pic looks like a Red Cherry Shrimp or perhaps a Fire Red, not a Bamboo Shrimp.

This link is useful for a little extra information on a few species of shrimps, including Bamboo Shrimps.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Bamboo_Shrimp.html

I have Red Cherry Shrimps, and they're great to have in my tanks, i like them and also have snails as well.

CrazyDiamond88 said:
Lock man - at one stage I had 11 cories and the betta fish. I don't know much about stocking but I thought without the bioload of the betta I could a couple more cories?

Thanks for the tip on the bamboo shrimp, never heard of them before. Sounds interesting!

I would have said that the tank was a little overstocked before, not drastically so. If you feel comfortable with pushing the boundaries, then go for it - it's not just about filtration, it's also about stress. You can cope with a packed bus or train at rush hour, because it's only for a short time. You'd soon start to suffer if it was a permanent arrangement. Same with fish.
Dmbandstef said:
Yeah, bamboo shrimp are wicked cool. They get to be about 4 inches long. Heres a picture i found on google.

That picture of the red shrimp isn't a bamboo. I'd agree with Ch4rlie, that it's a red cherry.

Thanks, google, for making me look like an idiot! Lol I thought it looked a little too red myself but I just thought it was a particularly nice looking one.

Okay so I'm going to buy the shrimp today.

How many of the red cherry shrimp could I get for my tank?

Assuming I don't add any more cories.

And if I just wanted to get more cories how many could I get?

I should go for 3 or 4. Assuming you get at least one male and at least one female, you'll soon have loads any way, they breed like wild-fire. I bought 10 just over 2 years ago, and now have 50+, and that's with having a few eaten by a peacock goby.

Thanks lock man :) I didn't see this till I bought the shrimp but I have 7 now.

These shrimp are cute. One of them was shuffling around in the sand then it felt it's way onto a Cory. Then it realized the Cory was a living thing and backed up the way it came real fast xD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back