Stocking a 60L

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ALAW

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted peoples opinion on stocking, would you say the following fish in a 60 litre tank (long) is ok?
2 x Female Common Molly
3 x Male Platy
4 x Male Guppy
1 x Honey Gourami

I started with the 2 Mollys after my tank cycled, then shortly after introduced 3 Platys, realised the 2 species were so similar and wished I'd have just gone with all Platys due to their smaller size. I definitely want the Honey Gourami and the Guppys.
I'm thinking if I could get somebody to take the 2 Molly's off me that would leave space for 2 more Platys therefore reducing the total length of fish.
Thought would be helpful as I dont really know anybody to ask.

No simply because mollys and platty are hard water while guppy and gourami are soft , what is your waters Gh ?

Hi :) as above said its best to go with fish that are suited to your water - if you dont have a hardness test kit you can check on your local water suppliers website where you can put your postcode in.

I dont think Mollies are great for a 60L tank - could you take them back to the store? If you've not been to them you have a couple of Maidenheads in Leeds and they usually take fish in though you wont get credit or money for them.

Wills

Water hardness in my area is considered moderately high, I thought Guppys preferred hard water? My bad, still learning, I was just trying to gauge stocking levels, I am willing to compromise on the fish, but I agree the Molly's may get too large for my aquarium size, silly mistake, I will make some enquiries.

No simply because mollys and platty are hard water while guppy and gourami are soft , what is your waters Gh ?
Guppys are hard water fish. They like 250ppm plus which I'm assuming you have. The mollys platys and guppys hould be ok but monitor the behaviours and make sure nothing bad happens

Water hardness in my area is considered moderately high, I thought Guppys preferred hard water? My bad, still learning, I was just trying to gauge stocking levels, I am willing to compromise on the fish, but I agree the Molly's may get too large for my aquarium size, silly mistake, I will make some enquiries.
In fish terms, water in the North of England is generally considered soft. Can you give your reading in numbers and units? This should be on your water suppliers website if you don't have a test.

Alot of people are saying about water hardness but alot of the time it is about the water that the fish shop has and so if the local fish shop is using the same tap water as u you will be just fine having q
Hi all just wanted peoples opinion on stocking, would you say the following fish in a 60 litre tank (long) is ok?
2 x Female Common Molly
3 x Male Platy
4 x Male Guppy
1 x Honey Gourami

I started with the 2 Mollys after my tank cycled, then shortly after introduced 3 Platys, realised the 2 species were so similar and wished I'd have just gone with all Platys due to their smaller size. I definitely want the Honey Gourami and the Guppys.
I'm thinking if I could get somebody to take the 2 Molly's off me that would leave space for 2 more Platys therefore reducing the total length of fish.
Thought would be helpful as I dont really know anybody to ask.

any fish that suits ure tank. I'm in Leicester and we have quite hard water but I have a comunity tank that has all of the above and more and they are all living happy and well

Alot of people are saying about water hardness but alot of the time it is about the water that the fish shop has and so if the local fish shop is using the same tap water as u you will be just fine having q

any fish that suits ure tank. I'm in Leicester and we have quite hard water but I have a comunity tank that has all of the above and more and they are all living happy and well
I was just curious if the fish I stated would be OK in a 60L, I don't want to overstock, but I think the 2 Mollys are limiting my choices in regards to the others I want in there.

Its not quite as easy as that, the fish we keep (with a few exceptions) have adapted to their wild water requirements over a very long time and a couple of generations in captivity will not change that. Plus the water your LFS has them in is likely different to that of the distributor and the original farm.

Keeping softwater fish in hard water or visa versa usually results in reducing the fishes lifespan. Sometimes in half or less. I'll admit that its not always possible and that people have good success (I have in the past) but if people are planning tanks from scratch I would always recommend choosing fish for your tank suited to your tap water.

Wills

do you have an number for your hardness? (ppm and ph)

These readings will help us get an idea on what you could safely stock your tank with. :) These parameters should be on your last water report/bill. If they are not, check with your local water company.

Just my opinion, from experience...I'm no expert on water chemistry

If you are buying fish from a local LFS, and you share the same municipal water source, water hardness is many times less of an issue than we may think...if the LFS can keep fish healthy enough in their tanks with similar gh/kh to your own tanks, you should be able to, as well

For me, ph is a bigger cause of concern

But if a local LFS keeps fish in the same source water that you do, things should be fine, ESPECIALLY with well-bred livebearers the OP now has....they're hardy fish, and can thrive in varying water chemistry, to a degree

Side note: Some livebearers can cross breed, can't remember which ones at the moment, so there's that, lol

Just my opinion, from experience...I'm no expert on water chemistry

If you are buying fish from a local LFS, and you share the same municipal water source, water hardness is many times less of an issue than we may think...if the LFS can keep fish healthy enough in their tanks with similar gh/kh to your own tanks, you should be able to, as well

For me, ph is a bigger cause of concern

But if a local LFS keeps fish in the same source water that you do, things should be fine, ESPECIALLY with well-bred livebearers the OP now has....they're hardy fish, and can thrive in varying water chemistry, to a degree

Side note: Some livebearers can cross breed, can't remember which ones at the moment, so there's that, lol
LFS operate on a two or three week turnover. The buyer should be operating on having them for as close as possible to their natural lifespan.
There’s no guaranteeing the LFS water and buyers water is the same as the fish farms they were bred in or wherever the fishes ancestors evolved over millions of years.
Fish can die, survive or thrive. Thrivings better imho. Unfortunately they can’t tell us when they’re merely surviving, fortunately their ancestors water conditions can.

LFS operate on a two or three week turnover. The buyer should be operating on having them for as close as possible to their natural lifespan.
There’s no guaranteeing the LFS water and buyers water is the same as the fish farms they were bred in or wherever the fishes ancestors evolved over millions of years.
Fish can die, survive or thrive. Thrivings better imho. Unfortunately they can’t tell us when they’re merely surviving, fortunately their ancestors water conditions can.
You are absolutely correct, perhaps I should have been more clear.

In my personal experience, with my local LFS that has the same basic water params as source water, I am confident buying fish from them...after they receive and have had them for a while, and I can observe, whether farm raised or wild caught, how they acclimate to our local water source.

Regardless of strict guidelines for water params we may read about online, when researching and considering future stocking for our tanks.

Again, just a personal opinion, I am not trying to diminish the importance of basic water chemistry in fish keeping.

Its not quite as easy as that, the fish we keep (with a few exceptions) have adapted to their wild water requirements over a very long time and a couple of generations in captivity will not change that. Plus the water your LFS has them in is likely different to that of the distributor and the original farm.

Keeping softwater fish in hard water or visa versa usually results in reducing the fishes lifespan. Sometimes in half or less. I'll admit that its not always possible and that people have good success (I have in the past) but if people are planning tanks from scratch I would always recommend choosing fish for your tank suited to your tap water.

Wills
I should have just replied and said ^^ THIS ^^

Guppys are hard water fish. They like 250ppm plus which I'm assuming you have. The mollys platys and guppys hould be ok but monitor the behaviours and make sure nothing bad happens
I don’t own guppy and no expert on them but I’m sure they live in acidic to neutral ph with a Gh of around 7-12 dgh (160ppm)

Most reactions

Back