Stocking A 18X10X10 (25-29Ltr Ithink) I No Its Small

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppyguy1234

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys i have a new aquarium set up already for my mum its a clearseal 18,10,10 its small ino but i dnt want her overwelmed with the requirments of larger tanks just yet i order a internal filter with spray bar to cut the flow for a i no r gunna be small fish i would like a 3 species set up with top. middle. and then bottom dwelling fish its sand so ino its good substrate if u no of a suitable cory thanks guys oh and if i put the filter in my fully established 96ltr for a few days will that gather bacteria?

There's no way you're going to get three species in a tank of that size. As you're going be looking at small fish, nearly all of them need to be in decent sized shoals, or they'll be too shy too act naturally. One of the dwarf cory species might be suitable.

Does your mum have hard or soft water? That'll make a lot of difference as to what species would be best.

Running the filter in your tank is not the best way to go about it. It would be better to give your mum some of your media and then replace it with new in yours. The ideal way of doing it would be to add a small amount of ammonia (you can use fish food or a prawn for this) to your mum's tank then add some of your media.

Test after 12 hours and if there's no ammonia or nitrite, you know you're safe to start stocking, within the limits of the media (what I mean by that is, if your tank had 20 guppies in it, and you gave your mum a quarter of your media, she could have four or five guppy sized fish in her tank).

Hope that makes sense!

ok i dnt really understand water hardness but what i can do since my filter is only a eheim pickup all is in there is a sponge so i could put a plant or sumfin from mine in there wat about two peppered corries and a group of endlers and a small shoal of neons

Cut a small piece of the sponge off. No more than a quarter, or it'll affect your tank (actually, your tank could donate up to a third, so a quarter is on the safe side).

All corydoras need to be in groups of at least six, of their own species.

If you look on your water supplier's website, it'll say whether your water is hard or soft (or medium). I'm really not going to recommend species without knowing the water hardness. Endler's for instance, prefer hard water, whereas the cories and the neons like it soft.

ok arent the endlers the same as guppies could i get six corrirs in there ino thats really a stupid question isnt it

Endler's and guppies are very, very closely related, it's true.

You could get six of one of the dwarf cories (there are three commonly available species of dwarf cory; Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastaus), size wise but, again, it depends on your water.

There are no stupid questions, except the ones you don't ask
wink.png

Find out about the water, and we'll work from there
smile.png

in my larger tank i have rummy noses
neons
1 male 2 female guppies pregnant
peppered corris two
6 zebra and 6 pink danios
one ancistrus plec
3 head and tail light tetras
2 harlequins so the water is perfect for them my params are