FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 13.47.20.png

It's been quite a momentous few weeks for me and my tanks, last week saw the move of my Aquascaper 600 into my office - not sure if people follow my journals but check it out to see that process. Then yesterday I finally went to pick up this beauty! Its an Evolution Aqua Aquascaper 1200, its 300 litres and the set up includes an FX4, Aquael Leddy Slim, Fluval pro 300 heater and a custom made perspex lid. If you are not familiar with the Aquascaper range it was made by a company called Evolution Aqua which is owned by Jeremy Gay who used to be the editor of Practical Fish Keeping. The Aquascaper range was made in association with George Farmer and he had I think the 1500 model for quite a few years until his partnership with Oase started to develop. Its a rimless, braceless tank made with 12mm optiwhite glass and the cabinet is made with aircraft grade aluminium and the doors and panels are in a matt anthracite grey.

The journey was pretty smooth and getting the kit into our cars went really well. Only slight brown trouser moment was going round a motorway slip road that curved and cambered much more than I was expecting and the tank slightly slipped from its cushioned base! I could see it in my rear mirror but it was all ok and we pulled over to adjust it.

The wood in here is from my other Facebook Marketplace haul which I got for just £30! Unbelievable! Its well dried and aged oak from a nearby forest somewhere just east of Hull. I've quickly plonked it in for now but think it looks great already, I have one big bit that is too big to fit without cutting so may do that but might not need it. In the middle of the wood is some of the Frodo Stone I didnt use in my 600 tank and I thought it would be too small or not enough in this tank but with the wood in there I think it might be ok, I might need 2-3 more stones and might call it a day.

One slight problem is the stand does not fit in the alcove due to the skirting being a bit wonky. Its an easy fix though - the side panels are just cosmetic and inside is a metal frame so I can cut a square in the bottom back corner of both panels and it will slide over the skirting and it will leave space at the back for the filter pipes to come up. We've also decided we want to decorate the room the tank is in before I fill it up too which is fine as I have a few things I need to do to the tank and the kit before I get set up - eg the filter needs new sponges and media, need to work out the light and lid needs a little attention as I've been told it will bow a little in the middle over time so want to work out how to brace it or prevent it.

The guy I bought the tank from was really nice too so I broke a bit of a habit and invited him to the forum, I very rarely invite people from real life here so hoping he signs up :)

Wills

View attachment 165783

It's been quite a momentous few weeks for me and my tanks, last week saw the move of my Aquascaper 600 into my office - not sure if people follow my journals but check it out to see that process. Then yesterday I finally went to pick up this beauty! Its an Evolution Aqua Aquascaper 1200, its 300 litres and the set up includes an FX4, Aquael Leddy Slim, Fluval pro 300 heater and a custom made perspex lid. If you are not familiar with the Aquascaper range it was made by a company called Evolution Aqua which is owned by Jeremy Gay who used to be the editor of Practical Fish Keeping. The Aquascaper range was made in association with George Farmer and he had I think the 1500 model for quite a few years until his partnership with Oase started to develop. Its a rimless, braceless tank made with 12mm optiwhite glass and the cabinet is made with aircraft grade aluminium and the doors and panels are in a matt anthracite grey.

The journey was pretty smooth and getting the kit into our cars went really well. Only slight brown trouser moment was going round a motorway slip road that curved and cambered much more than I was expecting and the tank slightly slipped from its cushioned base! I could see it in my rear mirror but it was all ok and we pulled over to adjust it.

The wood in here is from my other Facebook Marketplace haul which I got for just £30! Unbelievable! Its well dried and aged oak from a nearby forest somewhere just east of Hull. I've quickly plonked it in for now but think it looks great already, I have one big bit that is too big to fit without cutting so may do that but might not need it. In the middle of the wood is some of the Frodo Stone I didnt use in my 600 tank and I thought it would be too small or not enough in this tank but with the wood in there I think it might be ok, I might need 2-3 more stones and might call it a day.

One slight problem is the stand does not fit in the alcove due to the skirting being a bit wonky. Its an easy fix though - the side panels are just cosmetic and inside is a metal frame so I can cut a square in the bottom back corner of both panels and it will slide over the skirting and it will leave space at the back for the filter pipes to come up. We've also decided we want to decorate the room the tank is in before I fill it up too which is fine as I have a few things I need to do to the tank and the kit before I get set up - eg the filter needs new sponges and media, need to work out the light and lid needs a little attention as I've been told it will bow a little in the middle over time so want to work out how to brace it or prevent it.

The guy I bought the tank from was really nice too so I broke a bit of a habit and invited him to the forum, I very rarely invite people from real life here so hoping he signs up :)

Wills
Awesome! Congrats!

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I'm so happy for you that you finally got the dream tank!!
I follow your journals! But I admit that I'm behind... :blush: But to be fair, I'm also behind in even updating my own journals... :lol: But I do catch up after a bit, and love to see how the builds progress! Starting a new one for this is a good idea though. I think people get a bit overwhelmed once a journal has a lot of pages and are less likely to click then. But do still please update the long journals, because it's great to see where you're at once it's built, and look back on the process from beginning to end!

Not bad I guess....if you have the space to put it and deep pockets to set it all up and run it.

you be nice, you hear. No picking fights with Wills :)
Not picking fights at all

That aquarium is bigger than both my kitchen and bathroom......its a bloody swimming pool :lol:

Nice if you have the space and can afford to keep it running (which many don't cos alot of people here are juveniles on Bank of Mum & Dad or not even able to dream of owning anything that big due to their situation)

Thanks guys :) it is a luxury for sure but for what this is it is a bargain. And having done the maths it is a bit costly to run in 2022 Britain but we might be getting help from the government soon and I can stick it all on credit anyway if I need to...

Thanks guys :) it is a luxury for sure but for what this is it is a bargain. And having done the maths it is a bit costly to run in 2022 Britain but we might be getting help from the government soon and I can stick it all on credit anyway if I need to...

Despite teasing about how jealous I am, I'm unreservedly delighted for you and can't wait to see how it develops! No one else should get to judge how you spend whatever money you earn, that's your business, and all of us here no matter how limited in budget are fortunate in terms of finances and government support compared to the vast majority of the world, so it's all relative. :)
You've bought second hand, and saved money where you can on things like the wood, and have been planning this out as a dream tank for your dream fish for more than a year now. Enjoy it, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for enjoying it either.

Despite teasing about how jealous I am, I'm unreservedly delighted for you and can't wait to see how it develops! No one else should get to judge how you spend whatever money you earn, that's your business, and all of us here no matter how limited in budget are fortunate in terms of finances and government support compared to the vast majority of the world, so it's all relative. :)
You've bought second hand, and saved money where you can on things like the wood, and have been planning this out as a dream tank for your dream fish for more than a year now. Enjoy it, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for enjoying it either.
Thank you :) its all fine really. And its not quite a year yet haha!

Thank you :) its all fine really. And its not quite a year yet haha!
Feels like more than a year... :rolleyes:;):lol:

Have been waiting impatiently for you to get the tank since you first described what you wanted to do with it!! Plus, I bet the dream to have a nicu cichlid again has been lurking in your head for even longer, since before you made the thread.

Feels like more than a year... :rolleyes:;):lol:

Have been waiting impatiently for you to get the tank since you first described what you wanted to do with it!! Plus, I bet the dream to have a nicu cichlid again has been lurking in your head for even longer, since before you made the thread.

Haha its a year next week since I started my journal for it. But if you are asking about when I wanted to keep Nics again that started a loooong time ago. When I had my 6 foot tank I got to a point where some of my fish had started dying of old age 8+ years old so I decided to restock and my choice was Nicaraguans or Cryptoheros Nanoluteus and I went with the later and regretted it... That was about 2017/8 so thats when I got real pangs for them. But maybe a few months before I started the journal this time around.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back