stocking 37 L, 65 L, 160L tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QueenBee

Reaction score
Just bought a 160L tank online, so will be able to move the fish i have from my smaller, temporary tanks, so am wanting some advice on what to put where, compatibility etc. its a blue planet model, built in lights, filter etc.

I know the tanks i have are probably too small for the number of fish i have currently; the fish are young, still growing and it was always the plan to upgrade to bigger tanks. The ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all normal, and the fish are doing well. I recently went on holiday for 10 days, with a pet sitter feeding them once a day (pre set the amount she was to give them into pill boxes), and while the nitrates did go high, a 25% water change sorted that when i got home (tanks not tested when i was away)

I'm new to this, got my first tank 3 months ago; I'm coming to realize there might not be any species i can keep in the smaller 37 L tank (?) so will might just use it for quarantine?

Currently i have:

37 L - 6 odessa

65L - 13 neons, 1 pale blue dwarf Gourami, 4 glass bloodfin tetras.

for the 160L, i was going to put the 6 odessa into it, adding 2 new odessa at the same time.

I originally thought id put the glass bloodfins into it, adding more of them at the same time (6-8), but I
I'm worried the odessa's might be too aggressive to put in the same tank with them? I thought id done my homework, asked lots of questions at the fish shop,, and read a lot about the fish, but the odessa are behaving more aggressively than i thought - although this might be because they are in a small tank and need more of them together?

My Qs:

is my 37L good for ANY fish? ie small school of small fish (ember tetra's?) or a fish on its own like a bristlenose, until it grows bigger?

do i need to move the glass bloodfins from the 65L, ie it is too many in there currently? Or, if there is room, can i add 2 more so they have a bigger group?

If the glass bloodfins aren't going to work with the odessa's and cant stay in the 65L, i will re-home them.

Initially i had thought id have in my 160L:

6 odessa
6 glass bloodfins
3 peppered cories
a bristlenose / larger species single fish / zodiac loach; and get a bigger tank as it grows. . I would love to get a rainbow shark, but i've read that while they aren't as aggressive as the redfin shark, it probably wouldnt fit well with what i have planned for the 160L tank (im also aware id need a bigger tank pretty soon for it if i were to have anything else in with it).

I also really like black phantom tetras - i was thinking if the glass fins cant go into the tank with the odessa, i could get 6 of those instead? I think id prefer the black phantoms over the glass bloodfins.

I could move some of the neons as well, split them between 2 of the tanks?

thoughts / ideas welcome :).

QB

If the 160 liter (42 gallon) tank has a length of 36 inches (90 cm) then the Odessa (six or eight) will fill it. And be in the minimum tank they need. I know it is tempting to think that the fish when acquired are small and why can't they manage in a much smaller tank for a while, but the truth is that this rarely works without causing internal issues that the fish will have to live with and be weakened by; fish continually grow and faster than we might think. I would not myself put bloodfins in this tank, they have a reputation for fin nipping, but given the options you really have no other; they should never be placed in with sedate fish like gourami. The neons will not appreciate the active swimming of the barbs so they should stay in the 65 liter even though that is pushing things but at least they are less active and such fish can deal better with smaller spaces.

The Zodiak Loach I assume is the species Mesonoemacheilus triangularis, and here is more info on its needs; note SF recommends a group as i their habitat this is a shoaling fish, notwithstanding the sometimes very aggressive nature or rivals.
I guess what I'm hinting at is if you keep just the one, it cold presumably go in the 160 liter tank with the Odessa barbs. But please do not add a Rainbow Shark or any similar cyprinid, this is really asking for trouble.

You certainly do not have any space for any new fish species, unless you first decide to re-home some.

When you say tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are all normal, none of us know what you might mean. We like to have numbers so we can better understand things and provide advice that will bee more likely to help. :fish:

And welcome to TFF.

If the 160 liter (42 gallon) tank has a length of 36 inches (90 cm) then the Odessa (six or eight) will fill it. And be in the minimum tank they need. I know it is tempting to think that the fish when acquired are small and why can't they manage in a much smaller tank for a while, but the truth is that this rarely works without causing internal issues that the fish will have to live with and be weakened by; fish continually grow and faster than we might think. I would not myself put bloodfins in this tank, they have a reputation for fin nipping, but given the options you really have no other; they should never be placed in with sedate fish like gourami. The neons will not appreciate the active swimming of the barbs so they should stay in the 65 liter even though that is pushing things but at least they are less active and such fish can deal better with smaller spaces.

The Zodiak Loach I assume is the species Mesonoemacheilus triangularis, and here is more info on its needs; note SF recommends a group as i their habitat this is a shoaling fish, notwithstanding the sometimes very aggressive nature or rivals.
I guess what I'm hinting at is if you keep just the one, it cold presumably go in the 160 liter tank with the Odessa barbs. But please do not add a Rainbow Shark or any similar cyprinid, this is really asking for trouble.

You certainly do not have any space for any new fish species, unless you first decide to re-home some.

When you say tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are all normal, none of us know what you might mean. We like to have numbers so we can better understand things and provide advice that will bee more likely to help. :fish:

And welcome to TFF.
Thank you for replying. Ammonia and nitrates are zero, nitrates around 10.

I wasn't aware the glass bloodfin tetras might be aggressive, hence why they re in with the guarami and neons - they chase each other sometimes, but haven't shown any interest in the guarana, def no nipping, and the guarantors quite relaxed. Hangs out at the front of the tank. For the past week at least - it might change.

so, just to clarify, you're recommending the guarami stays with the neons in the 65L, and not add anymore?

i think I'll re-home the glass bloodfins ....

would I be able to add another school of fish (black phantoms or corries)in with the odessa's? Or just keep 8 of them in there?

(And yep, no rainbow shark! )

Thank you for replying. Ammonia and nitrates are zero, nitrates around 10.

I wasn't aware the glass bloodfin tetras might be aggressive, hence why they re in with the guarami and neons - they chase each other sometimes, but haven't shown any interest in the guarana, def no nipping, and the guarantors quite relaxed. Hangs out at the front of the tank. For the past week at least - it might change.

so, just to clarify, you're recommending the guarami stays with the neons in the 65L, and not add anymore?

i think I'll re-home the glass bloodfins ....

would I be able to add another school of fish (black phantoms or corries)in with the odessa's? Or just keep 8 of them in there?

(And yep, no rainbow shark! )

Yes on neons and gourami.

Bloodfins are the species Aphyocharax anisitsi and this comes from a profile I wrote on the species:

Generally peaceful, but must be kept in a group of at least six though a larger group is preferable to contain fin nipping. Good companion for peaceful fish sharing similar water parameter requirements such as livebearers (basic/hard) or other characins (soft, acidic) and small catfish and loaches. Not good with long-fin fish as it may then nip at the fins.​

I consider that 8 Odessa will fill the 167, along with the loach.

Yes on neons and gourami.

Bloodfins are the species Aphyocharax anisitsi and this comes from a profile I wrote on the species:

Generally peaceful, but must be kept in a group of at least six though a larger group is preferable to contain fin nipping. Good companion for peaceful fish sharing similar water parameter requirements such as livebearers (basic/hard) or other characins (soft, acidic) and small catfish and loaches. Not good with long-fin fish as it may then nip at the fins.​

I consider that 8 Odessa will fill the 167, along with the loach.
I think the fish I have are different? I've got these - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_bloodfin_tetra

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back