Stock for my 39 Gallons?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jay2jay99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As some of you will know, I'm currently in my cycling period after buying a new tank, I am a complete beginner, any one got an ideas on what I could stock together that would be interesting? I am keen to have a few varieties. I have posted a pic too.

Many Thanks,

Jay.

Fish2.jpg

It really depends upon what you're looking for in your tank. There are a lot of good fish out there that a conscientious beginner can keep to start. If you think about and perhaps answer some of the follow questions, you may find that people can help you more easily...

Are there any specific species you've noticed that you particularly like?
What level of activity would you like to see?
What level of aggression?
Would you prefer many small fish, a single large one, or something in between?
What types of behavior are you hoping to see in your new fish?
How dedicated to tank maintenance do you think you'll be?

I second that which modernhamlet said and nice tank :)

Ah Ok, Well here goes:

I like the idea of interesting species, i do not want anything like goldfish or similar, no offence to goldfish or anything but I just think they're common and boring. Naming species is a bit difficult but I'd like something thats different, elephant nose fish, shark catfish, pigmy puffer, I like them, but I've heard there would be a problem with aggression. I read an article on someone who had mollies, and when he got sand for his tank, they were playing in it, digging etc, that would be cool, something playful. I like african dwarf frogs, do they go with most things?

I'd like quite an active tank although if there's the odd big slow fish and a school of more active fish swimming around then that would be good too, if it was possible.

I'd like a low level of aggression, I don't want everything to be hunted although if I can't avoid that to have some nice fish, then so be it.

I'm not too bothered in size, but I wouldn't all the fish to be big and slow.

It'd be good if some fish had character, they were playful, i'd be happy for breeding to occur.

Well it's a bit hard to say about dedication to tank maintenance i'd be as I've never done this before but I'd really like some nice fish and if it means a bit of extra work then i'm sure it wont be a problem, unlike keeping something like hamsters I wouldn't have to go through the hassel of totally cleaning out a cage, but cleaning the gravel and a 25% water change or more every 2-4 weeks sounds more than fine.

I hope that is a bit more specific and not too long to read,

many thanks again,

Jay.

P.s. Here is a more updated pic, i've added a few pots, and a 'play pit' in the corner.

DSCN3482.jpg

You'll need to do weekly water changes IMHO - not every 2-4 weeks.

What you basicaly described - fun, playful, interesting, etc - is a corydoras catfish. They are common fish but very cute and you'll love them once you've kept them for a while. They are also considerably hardy and don't get big. They like to be in groups of at least 4 of the same species and you'll notice they are very social and interact with each other like very few other fish do.

Concerning the fish you named, I understand you are looking for unusual but none of those would work in your tank - the shark catfish gets too big IMO, the elephant nose is not a beginners fish as it's very fragile and requires a species tank to thrive and, though the dwarf puffers WOULD work, they are best kept in a species tank and are not realy suited to community life.

Because you are new to keeping fish, I'm going to suggest a very peaceful community -

As I've already mentioned, 5 cory cats would be very nice for your tank.
An unusual and interesting top-dwelling schooling fish is the silver hatchet. 6 of these unusual creatures would look very nice IMO.

To mature the tank (your first inhabitants) you need something somewhat more hardy - I suggest you get a trio of platies. These are not particularly unusual but they come in a rainbow of colors and if you get a male and 2 females they will breed for you. Platies would add that extra bit of color and before long you'll have more than 3.

Lastly, a schooling fish for the middle layers like glowlight tetras or black phantom tetras (wonderful little characters) or rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras (best schooling fish) would look very nice. I'd get about 8.

If you keep up with maintainance, you could also get a bristlenose pleco. These small plecs grow to a good size and look very unusual with bristles on their noses :) They will also eat any algae.

The fish I suggested are quite easy to keep in a well-maintained tank but they are all quite small, active species. They do have interesting behaviours though and would be a nice tank to start off with.

Alternatively, you could try cichlids - a trio of yellow labs, some upside down catfish and a bristlenose pleco could make a nice set-up for your tank.

Something else to consider would be different species of rainbowfish. They come in so many different colors and each species is unique. You'll need to google those you are interested in - www.google.com ;)

Obviously research the fish you are looking into and make sure you have correctly cycled your tank first - a 'cycle' may not be quite what your LFS said it was. Read the link in my signature to make sure you get off to a good start :)

Good luck and keep us updated - if you have any other fish in mind or don't like those I suggested, go ahead and tell us and I'm sure someone can suggest alternatives. :)

So sylvia, what you was suggesting was:
1 male platies
2 female platies
(To mature the tank)
then:
5 corydoras catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
and about 8 glowlight tetras, black phantom tetras, rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras.

I do like the sound of that, plenty of choice, colour and character. How long after adding the platies would I wait before adding the other fish?
I did a test on my water yesterday,after 4 days , it was: Ph 7.6, Amm 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. After that I added another dose of ammonia and left it until today, the test was: Ph 7.6, Amm 0.25, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 20. After that I did a 25% water change about 9 Gallons. How does that sound? I'll Check out that link now.
Vip, So do you disagree? you think cichlids are the way to go? I will look in to them to but I'm quite keen to have a variety of fish.

Thank you both for your opinions,

Jay.

You missed the hatchets :p

But yeah, that was what I was suggesting. :)

I think, seeing as your tank is cycled by the sounds of it, you should only need to wait about a week after the platies before adding more fish - I'd go for the corydoras next as most are quite hardy and they produce very little waste. Test your water regularly to make sure and do a water change if you see any sign of a spike. Wait for about a week after each addition and when you add the tetras, add them 2-3 at a time so as not to over-load suddenly and give the bacteria a chance to multiply. :)

So do you reckon it's already cycled? I've had it going for 5 days now. My LFS has said to wait at least a week before I add any fish, should I wait till then?

Jay.

No it's not cycled yet - I meant it was cycling (sorry I just re-read my post and realised I'd worded that quite badly :p ) It'll be fully cycled when ammonia/nitrIte are at 0 and nitrAte is high. You need not do any water changes until then BTW - as you don't have fish. Just do a big one at the end to get nitrAtes under 40ppm (prefferably under 20) and add your first few fish. It may take longer than a week to fully cycle though - test and wait and see.

Oh and I'd suggest you add ammonia daily rather than waiting for it to go down - think of the ammonia as the fish waste. It would be produced daily if you had fish.

Ah I see, I thought it wasn't cycled as yet. I can add it daily but I'm just a bit unsure on how much, I not sure where abouts you are but here I am using a product called 'Cycle' a biological aquarium suppliment, here is a picture of the bottle and the directions on the back, do you have an idea how much I would use daily?

Thanks ever so much.

Jay.

DSCN3496.jpg

DSCN3494.jpg

P.s. I'm off to have a look at the species available, I'll come back on when I get home.

Jay.

I'm not sure of how much cycle to add - I doubt it matters much - most people say it doesn't actualy work but I've never tried it myself.

However, it doesn't say it contains ammonia so besides 'cycle', are you also adding ammonia? It sounds like you are in which case I'd just add the same amount (of ammonia) daily and it doesn't realy matter exactly how much that is.

As for the cycle - I suppose you could just follow the instructions as you appear to have been doing and not add daily.

I've actually only been using cycle, I asked the LFS and they said I just need that, I've been adding 2 capfuls to every 15 gallons every 2 days. I keep doing that then. I had a look in the aquatic centre at the cichlids, they're starting to grow on me, you can't have anything else with them though can you? What about the African Dwarf Frog, would that go with anything you mentioned?

Jay.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back