Stock for my 39 Gallons?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ADFs will go with peaceful community fish.

Cycle seems to be working for you then so just keep using it the way you are I suppose.

Cichlids can be tricky but there are some species that can be housed in community tanks - unfortunately those species aren't the hardiest but they are ok. Amongst these are blue/gold rams and some other dwarf cichlids from central and south america. Keyhole cichlids are another surprisingly peaceful cichlid and they'll also breed readily and can be kept in a community setting.

Other than these however, your non-cichlid tank-mates would be limmited as most species are not suited to typical community life.

I mentioned yellow labs in a previous post - they are african rift lake cichlids that would do well in your tank but aren't exactly community fish either.

If you wanted to you could try going completely cichlid. What pH/hardness is your water? Because you are only just beginning, you will want to choose cichlids that match this so you don't have to mess around with it. New world cichlids do best in soft, acidic water while most africans come from hardwater, alkaline rift lakes.

If you want something that you can breed and won't be too picky, I'll suggest pulcher/kribensis. They are african but don't come from a rift lake and do quite well in pretty much any pH within reason. They also don't exceed 3 inches and, IMO, are a good place to start with cichlids. They aren't too aggressive either.

If you don't mind aggression and would like to breed, get a pair of convicts. Unfortunately, there won't be much else you can house with them - maybe a school of 6 rosy barbs to keep them from turning on each other, but at breeding time convicts become seriously aggressive - even though they don't get very big. They breed like rabbits though. So if you don't want to be getting rid of and raising fry all the time, don't get a pair.

Something else I didn't consider (and probably isn't quite what VIP had in mind :p) are angels. Angelfish are also cichlids - just weird ones. You can keep these in a community setting and my personal favourite mix is 4 angels, 4 scissortail rasboras, a bristlenose plec and 6 black phantom tetras. Because of all the captive breeding, angels do well in a variety of water conditions and they are easily available and grow to an attractive size. Make sure you don't mix them with fin-nippers or very small neon-like fish though.

Sylvia,

You say ADF's go with a peaceful community, so would two go with your first suggestion, the cory cats, tetras, hachets etc? i think the reason the cichlids were appealing was the colours, but I think the variety of your first suggestion was better, i know, i'm terrible at deciding something! Plus if I can have a couple of ADF's with them that would be great.

Cheers,

Jay.

I've never actualy kept ADFs myself but they should be ok with the fish I suggested for the community. I don't know whether 2 would work together but I'm pretty shure they should as I've seen people suggest a couple with bettas or in realy small tanks where you can't realy keep any fish and ADFs aren't aggressive or anything. So yeah, I think you could get some for the community :)

Ah cool, I think in that case I have my stock. I'll hopefully be getting my first fish, the three platies, on friday, providing my water is up to scratch. BTW I did another test today, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40. So the process seems to be working, I added a bit more ammonia after. About the platies, I noticed there are few colours and varieties, when getting the male and two females can I mix and match colours and types for breeding or should they be the same?

Thanks alot for your help, I would have really been struggling otherwise,

Jay.

:) Glad to have been of help.

Your tank appears to be cycling well. Do post some more pics when you get some fish - I love seeing other peoples' tanks and yours is very nice already.

Unless you want to breed 'show-quality' fry (more of an issue with guppies that platies though IMO), it doesn't matter what color they are. It's realy entirely up to you and what you like most so go ahead and get whatever you think looks nice. :)

Cheers, I will add more pics when I get the fish. I'm waiting on some moonlight effect tubes at the moment, they look really nice adding a moonlight glow at night.
I've been looking at the link you put in, spent over an hour reading it all and the links off those pages, I feel ready for the frogs.

Jay

Here's a couple more pictures of my submersible lights, it's quite dark but you get the idea.

Looking up at the tank......
DSCN3499.jpg

And looking down at the tank.....
DSCN3500.jpg

Wow - I've wanted to try something like that for a while but I can't afford to at the moment. It must look great at night...

Thanks! I'll look into it for my new 55 gallon (when I finaly get it :p ).

Jay....good luck. I just finished cycling my 46 gallon bowfront. Be patient and don't stock before you are completely cycled. My tank is doing really well right now. We have Bala's and iridescent sharks. Bosemani rainbow's are very active and great swimmers. Clown loaches are beautiful fish and work on the bottom of the tank. Some people might not agree, but, we have a Hammer's blue cobalt 'lobster'. He's really great to watch. He has not been aggressive with any of the fish so far and keeps to himself. He's very bright blue. There's lots out there..just check and make sure compatibility, water conditions, etc. Have fun. Frank

Hi Jay,

Your tank looks fantastic! Can I ask what the little tree looking thing on the left is, with the green shoots? Is it live?

Jo.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back