Starting a small planted tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seed_Lord

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Previously I've kept multiple fish tanks, with plants, but the plants were never the focus, it was always the fish.

Now I've moved into a small studio flat and want something to look after but not keen on having fish as I'd need some sort of filter which will likely make just enough noise to annoy me when I'm trying to sleep, always had this problem when I had tanks in my room and want to avoid it. Also there are not too many plug points in here, least not in the free space I have where a tank could go, so I'm getting a small tank which will sit on my kitchenette surface just to house a few plants.

The main question I have is will I have to do water changes? (Apart from topping up evaporation) and if so will I need to condition the water like with fish?

Haven't fully decided on what plants I'm going to get yet apart from probably attaching some Java moss to a small piece of wood, the light I've initially ordered is a small LED one so for now atleast the light levels won't be massive, going to do some research on plants that stay fairly small when growing that need minimal light, so any suggestions welcome :) The tank is only roughly 12 litres.

Got some plant specific substrate, LED Light as mentioned, air pump (which I got to keep the water moving somewhat) and depending how the plants do with this substrate I'll look at ferts.

Any tips or advice would be welcome :)

Anubias nana grows very slowly and wont get overly large and grows in modest lighting

You wont have to condition the water :)

You should have a filter. There are several that are very quiet. Without a filter, the water will tend to become rather stagnant. Water changes can help. I ran a 10g for a year with no filter, no light (it was in front of a bright window) and it did well, but the water was never really clear (after a year I add a single sponge filter). I also have a quarantine tank for new fish acquisitions that runs permanently, planted, sponge filter, heater,light. Just no fish. I find I do need to do reguylar water changes though not as often perhaps as once a week, but if I do not do these at least every second or third week, the water does begin to show it. And this tank is just plants. You do not need a conditioner if no fish are in the tank; chlorine will not harm plants, it is in fact a micro-nutrient.

The main question I have is will I have to do water changes? (Apart from topping up evaporation) and if so will I need to condition the water like with fish?

short answer yes. Other than CO2 and light plants need mineral nutrients to grow. If the plants cannot get any one of the 14 mineral nutrients they will not grow and will eventually die. Tap water will have some of the mineral nutrients plants need but typically not all of them Chlorine is actually one of the mineral nutrients plants need so water conditioning is probably not necessary as long as the water PH is above 5. Some sort of fertilizer is needed since the tap water alone is not enough. Since most fertilizers don't have or don't have enough calcium you need to make sure your water has a GH of 3 or higher to insure enough calcium is pressent. After a week some of the fertilizer will have been consumed by the plants. The excess nutrients will need to be removed during a water change to keep the water chemistry stable.

I agree with Byron that it's better to have a filter.
If you are worry about the noise, get an internal filter or sponge filter. I think they are the quietest.

I don't think any fish can survive without water changing. You still need to change the water.

Last edited:
Anubias nana grows very slowly and wont get overly large and grows in modest lighting

Ordered one of these along with a Cryptocoryne Petchii and Cryptocoryne Lucens :)

short answer yes. Other than CO2 and light plants need mineral nutrients to grow. If the plants cannot get any one of the 14 mineral nutrients they will not grow and will eventually die. Tap water will have some of the mineral nutrients plants need but typically not all of them Chlorine is actually one of the mineral nutrients plants need so water conditioning is probably not necessary as long as the water PH is above 5. Some sort of fertilizer is needed since the tap water alone is not enough. Since most fertilizers don't have or don't have enough calcium you need to make sure your water has a GH of 3 or higher to insure enough calcium is pressent. After a week some of the fertilizer will have been consumed by the plants. The excess nutrients will need to be removed during a water change to keep the water chemistry stable.

I've ordered some ferts. I live in a hard water area so maybe ok for calcium? never had a problem with the majority of the plants I grew in my old tanks, just with a few when the tanks were new but can't remember what plants they were. This was before I used ferts too. I went for beginner plants for this tank so I hopefully don't have to worry too much about conditions.

I agree with Byron that it's better to have a filter.
If you are worry about the noise, get an internal filter or sponge filter. I think they are the quietest.

I don't think any fish can survive without water changing. You still need to change the water.

I've got a spongefilter on the way, I ran an airstone last night and slept fine, there is noise obviously but it didn't bother me. I just well remember having like 3 tanks in my room and the filters (sponge and mechanical) used to well annoy me at night. The mechanical ones used to start out quiet then eventually start clicking or making some sort of noise, even after being cleaned. Thats just my experience, maybe because they were on the cheap side.

I'm not sure if I'm going to add fish to this tank. its only 2.5 gallon. If the plants take and all looks good I might think about some shrimp or something, but I don't want anything to be cramped.

Thanks for your replies :)

Actually the sponge filter noise will depend on your air pump power and control.
Get an air pump which you can control the air pressure/flow rate.
The higher the flow rate, the noisier it gets.

What is your air pump power?
In my opinion, air pump with 5-10W is enough.

Internal filter is usually very quiet. You can get a very small one since your tank is small.

Also, make sure that there is no mosquitoes at your place if you keep only shrimps.
Else, you make need 1-2 small fish.

Yes, poor design of mechanical filters may cause the noise.
But sometimes it could be due to the lack of maintenance.

I'll look into that, I just went for a cheap one that said it was quiet. It seems to be alright though, I think I'm actually sleeping better with noise nowadays.

Says 2.6W, seems to be doing the job well enough with an air stone, will see how it goes when I get the sponge filter.

Yeah I'll look into a small internal if the noise does get to me with the sponge filter, I've had small ones before and they were alright. To be honest it was probably a combo of poor maintenance and cheapness lol, I always kept the sponge maintained but neglected the mechanical features until it was probably too late.

I have been thinking about a betta, but the smallest tank I've kept a betta in was 5 gal, and looking at this tank part of me is saying its too small but then the other part says when its got a few plants in and as long as the water quality is on point then he'd prob be happy. But if I go for shrimp id be happy to throw 2-3 white clouds in.

12 litres/3 gallons is too small for white clouds which need a 60 cm/24 inch long tank (and at least 6 of them). I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank this size except maybe a betta. Like you I prefer 5 gallons as the minimum size but they can be kept in 2.5 gallon tanks.

12 litres/3 gallons is too small for white clouds which need a 60 cm/24 inch long tank (and at least 6 of them). I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank this size except maybe a betta. Like you I prefer 5 gallons as the minimum size but they can be kept in 2.5 gallon tanks.

Ok thats fair, I've seen small tanks with a few of them in online. I knew they should be kept in larger numbers as I've had them before.

Might have to go for a Betta then

When my neighbour retired one of her co-workers gave her a tiny plastic "fish tank" that held one pint (less than 500 ml) with three white clouds and some gaudy coloured gravel. My friend (fortunately) did not want them, so she brought them over and I put the fish in my 90g tank. But I thought as I watched them swim around this tiny space, what cruelty. We do not know how the fish "feels" about this, but cruelty is still cruelty regardless of how the fish/animal perceives it.

When my neighbour retired one of her co-workers gave her a tiny plastic "fish tank" that held one pint (less than 500 ml) with three white clouds and some gaudy coloured gravel. My friend (fortunately) did not want them, so she brought them over and I put the fish in my 90g tank. But I thought as I watched them swim around this tiny space, what cruelty. We do not know how the fish "feels" about this, but cruelty is still cruelty regardless of how the fish/animal perceives it.

Yes of course. I've seen people put into small seclusion rooms which are low stim and the emotions it can bring up being trapped in a small space is real.

By a twist of fate my friend is getting rid of his 5gal tank, I'm going to have it off him. So I'm upgrading. Will come with a couple of amano shrimp and a snail. I'll be happier having the extra space.

That is great but it is like moving from a closet to the bathroom for the fish but still it is an improvement and improvements are always good. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back