Standard Tank Sizes & Weights

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have used this handy guide many times, may not list every tank you'll encounter, but fairly comprehensive.
Measurements and weights in both metric and standard.
Nice to know the "filled" weight when considering a stand and location for a new tank, IMO
If there is already a thread here with a better guide, or the same, my apologies for a redundant new post.

Very helpful, thank you!

I have most of the common tank sizes (5g, 10g, 20g long, 20g high, and 29g) dimensions memorized, but I need to learn their weight. (That is without any decor)

Very helpful, thank you!

I have most of the common tank sizes (5g, 10g, 20g long, 20g high, and 29g) dimensions memorized, but I need to learn their weight. (That is without any decor)
More than welcome, my friend.

For non-American members, it is helpful to know the sizes of tanks when only the volume is given. You all seem to be lucky that there are standard sizes! In the UK, a tank of a particular volume by one manufacturer often has different dimensions for the same volume by another manufacturer.

Glad to hear that you find the guide helpful.
Yes, I don't think the US will EVER fully adopt the Metric system ...for whatever reason (?)

It doesn’t work with Thai stuff, sadly :(

Also, in this forum, is it US or UK gallon we’re talking about?

In fishkeeping it is always US gallons, with the possible exception of King British medication which uses Imperial gallons. But as King British products are usually only sold in the UK and we are familiar with litres, it is recommended to use litres to be sure of getting the dose right.

I think it's only in the US where tank volumes are always the same dimensions.

In fishkeeping it is always US gallons, with the possible exception of King British medication which uses Imperial gallons. But as King British products are usually only sold in the UK and we are familiar with litres, it is recommended to use litres to be sure of getting the dose right.

I think it's only in the US where tank volumes are always the same dimensions.
"I think it's only in the US where tank volumes are always the same dimensions."

Interesting, did not realize this....

Are tanks sold in the US usually made in the US?

I know that in the UK there are tanks made by companies in a lot of different countries. Juwel and Eheim are German; Aqua One is Australian; AquaEl is Polish. I've no idea where Fluval tanks are made. And so on.

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, they all are...my guess is shipping cost with glass just isn't prudent from overseas.
Top Fin, Aqeon, Fluval, PennPlax, Marineland are all American made...

Over here, the tanks might be made in the UK (do they really ship Aqua One tanks from Australia?) but the specifications will be determined by where the company is based, not where the tanks are made. So many different countries presumably mean so many different specifications.

I should add that mine is a really odd shape because it's custom built ;)

Over here, the tanks might be made in the UK (do they really ship Aqua One tanks from Australia?) but the specifications will be determined by where the company is based, not where the tanks are made. So many different countries presumably mean so many different specifications.

I should add that mine is a really odd shape because it's custom built ;)
Well yeah, with custom built, anything goes!
At least we know for sure where that one was made, lol

Also, in this forum, is it US or UK gallon we’re talking about?
both :)

silly Americans and their version of the imperial system, cant even get their gallons right :)

-------------------
I thought AquaOne were made in China. Pretty sure the ones sold here are, here being Australia.

I know a lot of cheap aquariums sold in Australia are being made in China now. It is cheaper to import tanks from China, compared to making them here.

I do think the variety of tank sizes - that is, the different dimensions for any given volume - depend on where the tank manufacturers' designers live, rather than where the tank is made. Since the UK sells tanks made by companies based in many different countries, that's where the designers will live even if all the tanks are made in China.
So Eheim & Juwel designers live in Germany, Aqua One designers live in Australia, AquaEl designers live in Poland; they then tell the Chinese factories what size to make the tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back