Springtails/microfauna with fish - how

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, on at least two of my tanks ( well those that have frogbit) i have the white springtails that hop on the water surface. My question is, how is that even possible? One of the tank have clown killifish, a surface feeding fish, the other one has luminatus, they dont mind hunting on the surface either.
How can I have these with hunting fish? I mean I do not have many, I see few hoping around, but still I find it a bit strange.

Similar question is, I have cyclops in one tank but they mostly hang around salvinia and near surface, visible when I disturb the plants, then they hop around in the mid stream, but I read everywhere how they are bottom dwelling. But on the bottom there is a fish that I hope would eat them (indostomus) and my indostomus do not go to the surface and the cyclops does not seem to be interrested to go lower. Is that normal?

So, on at least two of my tanks ( well those that have frogbit) i have the white springtails that hop on the water surface. My question is, how is that even possible? One of the tank have clown killifish, a surface feeding fish, the other one has luminatus, they dont mind hunting on the surface either.
How can I have these with hunting fish? I mean I do not have many, I see few hoping around, but still I find it a bit strange.

Similar question is, I have cyclops in one tank but they mostly hang around salvinia and near surface, visible when I disturb the plants, then they hop around in the mid stream, but I read everywhere how they are bottom dwelling. But on the bottom there is a fish that I hope would eat them (indostomus) and my indostomus do not go to the surface and the cyclops does not seem to be interrested to go lower. Is that normal?
I have many springtails that just sit on top of the floater and nothing can get them (i think a few hundred maybe), I have a tank full of top hunters (big gouramis, guppies, etc) and they dont eat a lot of springtails. springtails are too fast and floating plants provide many hiding spaces.

Most reactions

Back