Spotted Cories And Peppered Cories

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jollysue

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
My LPS carries lots of nice fish, but like all fish stores they don't get too rigid about names. When I got my peppers, they had them labeled as spotted cories. Last time I was in they had two different tanks. One labeled Spotted and one labeled Peppered. I did not stand around and study them, but at a glance they looked the same. I assume that there is some difference, though.

Has anyone any idea what they on or on about?

A quick answer is via FishBase, either directly or through my handy dandy FishBase Client application. Enter "spotted corydoras" into the common name field, and hit search. Lo and behold, you get a listing of all the species 'officially' traded under that name. Of course, your LFS might simply be making up the names as they go along, but these 'official' names will be the ones used on their import lists.

Cheers,

Neale

fishbase_client_example01.jpg

fishbase_client_example02.jpg

Hi jollysue :)

My guess is that when the latest batch of corys arrived and were put into the tank, there was probably already a label on it from the last batch to occupy it. It simply might not have been changed.

Another thing that I've seen happen in an lfs is that one species might have sold faster than the other which could have left one tank too crowded and another too empty. An lfs person might just scoop up a few netfuls of fish and move them to the other tank to even the displays out. He probably didn't think about changing the labels too. This is why you might even find a label on a tank that has no corys in it at all. :S

This fish moving is going on extensively at this lps, because they are rearranging the fish stocks. There are some really humourus labels in there at present. One African "expert" tried to sell me a Malawi black calvus as a Tanganyikan compressicep, insisting that everything in that section was Tanganikan. Well, it was funny to me, as I know so little about Africans. When I pointed out another Malawi cichlid, he said, "You're right," excused himself and disappeared.

What confused me is that they always label their peppers as spotted Cories. They have never had any labeled peppered Cories. I'm guessing that you are correct, Inchworm, that they had their usual peppers that they always understand to be spotted, and they then recieved a shipment correctly ID'd as peppers and so put them in different tanks with different labels. But I wanted to check if anyone knew about a new sub species of pepper.

Their "spotted" cories look like Peppers and are nothing like any of the fish usually designated as "spotted."

I know this is abit of hijacking the thread. But my LFS sells leopard cories. I dont know wat they really are. Could they just be peppered cories? Sorry jollysue

Not a problem at all. I'm finished with the specific subject and the thread is open for discussion of mislabel cories. :nod:

Haven't got a clue to what a leopard Cory is. :lol:

When my African Cichlid lps delivered a tank awhile back, they assured me that my queen loaches (Botia dario) are leopard loaches and would reach 7". "Leopard" is another favorite designation for fish. (I Googled it, and there is a loach referred to as a "leopard," but as I remember it is a legandary unverifiable fish. I should use your search engine thingy. But you didn't put it as an actual link. :X )

Oops! :blush: Sorry, nmonks. I get so confused. :S

So did you check the Leopard Loach for me? :rolleyes:

I think I tried to use this once before, and I wandered into the lost city, but I eventually found my way home.

But thanks for helping.

It has similar markings to the queen. What is 12 centimeters? neremind I'll look it up. :p

It is not the same one I tried to use and got nowhere, I don't believe, unless it's because I was looking for a nonexistent fish for The_Wolf.

I think I tried to use this once before, and I wandered into the lost city, but I eventually found my way home.
That's what my gizmo is for. It's designed to help aquarists get to the info they need. It's just as easy to use as the example I gave above. Trust me, once you get the hang of fishbase, you'll wonder how you lived without it!

Neale

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back